Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Storing a long text in a cell

Hello,

I'm actually trying to store a long json file (polygons data) as a text in a table called map with two columns "ID" & "Map".

when I save my map data into the cell, everything goes well. However, when I try to fetch the MAP column, the column is not complete and therefore doesnt fetch the integrity of the text.

Capture (1).PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

There is also a limitation about the maximum string length in a single cell. The limitaion makes sense in terms of performance.

Which custom visual would you load all the text string to? 

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Why not directly connect to the JSON file using "Get Data->JSON" entry in Power BI Desktop? Would you mind sharing me the JSON file so that I can test?

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

Directly connect to the JSON file using "Get Data->JSON" entry in Power BI Desktop, then expand the record and lists in the JSON file following the guide in the blog and similar thread below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b-aJ1spAU
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Multi-Dimensional-Json-file-to-Table/td-p/113667 

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft Thank you for the reply. Me I want to store it a text and not json format. I want to use it form a custom visual. I read that a cell can support up to 525 Mo of text file in one cell. But why isn't it working.

@Anonymous,

I connect to your sample file in Power BI Desktop, it shows like below.
1.PNG

I create a Matrix Preview visual to display visual, it shows all the text when I filter the visual to show a value. What visual do you create in your scenario? 
2.PNG

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thank you for the reply, I think you misunderstood the issue. I want to load the whole json text in one cell and not in multiple rows.

I want to find a way to load the map to my custom visual.

@Anonymous,

I test the scenario as yours and the text is cut off in the visual. As described in this article, maximum string length is 268,435,456 Unicode characters (256 mega characters) or 536,870,912 bytes, the limitation applies to a whole text file.

In your sceanrio, you would need to chunk up your text into pieces with maximal length in order to show it properly in the visual.

Regards,

@Anonymous,

There is also a limitation about the maximum string length in a single cell. The limitaion makes sense in terms of performance.

Which custom visual would you load all the text string to? 

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft normally 536,870,912 is huge its around 526 Mb. which is largely sufficent. My data is only 353 Kb.

in summary, as I understand your post - you have a long text field.  What is the character count length of your data field typically?

what is meant by: "when I try to fetch the MAP column, the column is not complete" ? in that 'fetch' does not have formal definition in Power BI and so do you mean a visual of some kind or in the table itself after import/Get Data?

www.CahabaData.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CahabaData The example of a string is already provided in my post above.

By fetch I mean trying to see whats inside my column. 

To sum Up I'm trying to store a long chain of characters in one cell. But in fact there are not fully stored and they get cut at a certain point.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.