Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

r_z
Frequent Visitor

Store SUM from table 1 in table 2

Hello smart people.

I am new to Power Bi, DAX and I need some help.

I have table 1 in Power Bi where I have list of different part numbers with current stock levels. I am then projecting closing stock values for each week.

Question 1: How to create Table 2 in Power BI using DAX and store total closing stock from Table 1 for each week ?

Question 2:  Is it possible to store result of calculation from table 1 as values in table 2, so as soon as week finished, numbers for that week are captured and they don't change everytime I press "Refresh". To do this in excel I would take cell with formula and copy/paste as values.  

I am able to do this in Excel, but I want to do this in Power BI, so I don't need Excel (middle man) to do the calculation. 

Table 1      

Part NumberCurrent StockWeek 1 Closing stockWeek 2 Closing stockWeek 3 Closing stockWeek 4 Closing stocketc -->
A1231015201816 
B1231015201816 
C1231015201816 
D1231015201816 
E1231015201816 
etc       

Table 2      

WeeksTotal Closing stock     
Week 175     
Week 2100     
Week 390     
Week 480     

Massive thanks.

R

10 REPLIES 10
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

Q1:  Edit queries and unpivot columns (in the transform tab). That can switch columns with rows.

Q2: build relationship between two tables, then you can use calculate(sum(amount), week="week1").  I am also a new users and hope that can help you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

r_z
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ryan

Thanks for reply.

Q1: For table 1 I have database connection with base data, I then adding DAX calculation columns to do projection and these columns not appearing in Power Querie. It looks like that I have to use either DAX or Power Querie, but not both at the same time.

Q2: calculate(sum(amount), week="week1") - this would sum totals only for Week 1, but how to "tell table 2" that for Week 1 it has to take sum from Week 1 (Table 1), for Week 2 sum from Week 2 (Table 1), for Week 3 sum from Week 3 (Table 1) etc... and all this happens in the same column.

Could you please provide me your email address? I create a simple sample for you. Hope that will be helpful.

r_z
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ryan

My email randomski.social@gmail.com

Thanks for help.

R

r_z
Frequent Visitor

Hi All

Thanks for your help so far.

Please see linked Excel spreadsheet with explanation, what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

R_Z

Q1: I am not sure what kind of DAX you added, but if you add some calculated column, you may not be able to unpivot columns.

Q2: What I can think about is you try to create another new table. One way is "new table = old table". The other way is to right clik and create a reference table. Then you use group by function, group by week column and sum by amount column. Then you will get the total amount for week 1, week2, week3....

Hope that is helpful

r_z
Frequent Visitor

bump

Please try this.....

let
	Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjQ0MlbSUTI0ABGmQMIIzLIAEWYgrlKsTrSSE1GqnIlS5UKUKlfCqmIB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Part Number" = _t, #"Current Stock" = _t, #"Week 1 Closing stock" = _t, #"Week 2 Closing stock" = _t, #"Week 3 Closing stock" = _t, #"Week 4 Closing stock" = _t, #"Week 5 Closing stock" = _t]),
	#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Week 5 Closing stock"}),
	#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Current Stock", Int64.Type}, {"Week 1 Closing stock", Int64.Type}, {"Week 2 Closing stock", Int64.Type}, {"Week 3 Closing stock", Int64.Type}, {"Week 4 Closing stock", Int64.Type}}),
	#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Part Number", "Current Stock"}),
	#"Demoted Headers" = Table.DemoteHeaders(#"Removed Columns1"),
	#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Demoted Headers",{{"Column1", type any}, {"Column2", type any}, {"Column3", type any}, {"Column4", type any}}),
	#"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Changed Type1"),
	#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Transposed Table", "Total Closing Stock", each [Column2]+[Column3]+[Column4]+[Column5]+[Column6]),
	#"Removed Columns2" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6"}),
	#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns2", "Text Before Delimiter", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Column1], " ", 1), type text),
	#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter",{"Column1", "Text Before Delimiter", "Total Closing Stock"}),
	#"Removed Columns3" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{"Column1"}),
	#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns3",{{"Text Before Delimiter", "Weeks"}})
in
	#"Renamed Columns"

image.png

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Hi pattemmanohar

Where to put this "code" ?

Looks wierd...

Thanks

R

Anonymous
Not applicable

@r_z

The code that @PattemManohar provided you is Power Query code (aka M). Within Power BI Desktop click on 'Edit Queries'. From the resulting page click on 'Advanced Editor'. This will bring up a window where you should place the code provided.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.