Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

efilipe
Helper IV
Helper IV

Stop reading all text files again

Hello!

I have a directory with about 3 thousand text files of 1kb each. I ask PowerBI to open each of them, get the header of the file, and then split by position - voilá.

In this directory new files are added everyday. But it will always have about 3 thousand files, because I have a routine that erases files older than an year.

The files are in the network, so access is slower than working local.

So, what I'd like, is in a way I dont have to update it manually, and that PowerBI doesnt have to read all the files again just because of those new files that came in today. 🙂

Any suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @efilipe ,

Assuming that you have uploaded your text files into SharePoint Online, then you may use SharePoint Folder connector to combine or consolidate these files into a single table, transform the data in Query Editor, like "get the header of the file, and then split by position - voilá", see how to get SharePoint Online data from the link: Combining Excel Files hosted on a SharePoint folder with Power BI .

Then for the updated data today you may set Incremental refresh , and the Incremental refreshes only data that has changed.  Since incremental refresh is Premium only feature, so you may need to purchase Power BI Premium capacity for your organization, see How to purchase Power BI Premium. Incremental refresh policies are defined in Power BI Desktop and applied when published to the Power BI service.  See more detail steps: Incremental refresh in Power BI Premium , Incremental refresh for files in a Folder or SharePoint – Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @efilipe ,

Assuming that you have uploaded your text files into SharePoint Online, then you may use SharePoint Folder connector to combine or consolidate these files into a single table, transform the data in Query Editor, like "get the header of the file, and then split by position - voilá", see how to get SharePoint Online data from the link: Combining Excel Files hosted on a SharePoint folder with Power BI .

Then for the updated data today you may set Incremental refresh , and the Incremental refreshes only data that has changed.  Since incremental refresh is Premium only feature, so you may need to purchase Power BI Premium capacity for your organization, see How to purchase Power BI Premium. Incremental refresh policies are defined in Power BI Desktop and applied when published to the Power BI service.  See more detail steps: Incremental refresh in Power BI Premium , Incremental refresh for files in a Folder or SharePoint – Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well, you know it's not that... 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.