Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DKaur3

Stop filtering of one visualisation

Hello,

I have created a dashboard with several cards, bar charts and two scatter charts. The data ranges over ten years, so all the cards and bar charts show the latest year values when no year is chosen, and the correct values for the corresponding year when a year is chosen. I've done this using measure that check whether the year filter is being filtered. The problem I have is the scatter plots show data by year (along the x-axis), so all years have to be selected to show the full scatter plot. Is there anyway to have the scatter plot fixed such that it does not change when a filter is applied to the year? (Other filters should still update the scatter plot.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

The new update did bring this feature in. I just greated a report with a bar graph that does not filter with the page slices so that I could show multiple years across it instead of the single year I want to focus on in the other visuals. In the edit screen there is a new button on the ribbon called visual interactions. Click it then click the strike through circle on the visualization you want to keep from filtering. Very simple and it worked quickly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Mimzilla
Regular Visitor

Another way to do this that I prefer is to use the CALCULATE function in a measure to perform the filter you need.  The page and visualization filters won't override it.  So for example, if you chart a measure that is filtering for 2019 data and your page filters for 2020 data, it will still give you the 2019 data despite the page filter. 

Measure = CALCULATE(Expression, Filter1, Filter2)

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

The new update did bring this feature in. I just greated a report with a bar graph that does not filter with the page slices so that I could show multiple years across it instead of the single year I want to focus on in the other visuals. In the edit screen there is a new button on the ribbon called visual interactions. Click it then click the strike through circle on the visualization you want to keep from filtering. Very simple and it worked quickly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks. You can also select specific slicers/filters to lock. For example if I have five slicers showing different attributes, I can allow four of them and leave only say the year locked.

Hi 

I was just wonder if this work on powerbi desktop version as I can only find that ribbon in the service version? 

Cheers

Simon

Hi - On the desktop Power BI, Select the visual that is providing the filter (like a specific slicer), then in the Ribbon under "Visual Tools" there is a button for "Edit Interactions".  After you click "Edit Interactions", on every other visual on the page you'll see some new icons in their upper right corners.  On the visual you no longer want affected by this fiter, select the circle with the slash through it.  Now that visual will no longer respond to your selected visual/slicer.

Is this applicable on applying a report level filter and turing off a visual on the report level?

this is great @NicholasH. Thank you so much for your post!!

JasonDunbar
Resolver I
Resolver I

Could be that there's a much easier solution to your problem? In the November update of Power BI (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/11/20/announcing-the-power-bi-desktop-november-update.a... there's the ability to change the interaction between visualisations.

Now, I've not yet tested whether or not this affects the visualisation when filters are applied - maybe not, or it could be that what you want to achieve can be done with a combination of this and a Report Level filter.

@PowerBIGuy I was originally thinking that when I posted my response but then wasn't sure if it would mean having to create a measure for each axis as well?

@JasonDunbar just tested your suggestion, seems to work well on slicers so should allow filtering some visuals to defined years and others to show all years.

Thanks guys, I found a workaround. I created a reference table with distinct years, then created a many to one relationship between the tables. Next I create a measure for my variable with ALL('Distinct years') in the formula, and my filter for the page (i.e. the other viz that I want to change by year) is by the distinct years too. This somehow works!

PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@DKaur3 This could be accomplished via DAX. You could create a measure that  ignore the time slicer. Please see the following link.

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The slicers in PowerBi don't yet seem to have the ability to be linked to specific visualisations (Unlike in Excel)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.