Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gauravg3
Helper I
Helper I

Static and Dynamic Data for report

Hi,

I have a trend report for incidents reported in last 12 months. The volume per month is >30,000 on an average.

As a result the data size is getting huge.

So, want to check if its possible to keep 11 months of data static, and only keep just last 1 month data as dynamic? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @gauravg3 ,

According to your statement, I know your data source is Servicenow. It is a web data source.  Incremental refresh is a good way to load data in dynamic date range. However web data source doesn't support query folding, so incremental refresh may show bad performance due to large size of data.

For reference: Sources that support folding

Here I suggest you to do some transform in Power Query Editor.

Filter static table in the previous 11 months.

1.png

Then use Group BY to get aggregate values.

2.png

Filter dynamic table by This Month.

3.png

You may refer to this blog to learn more details about how to optmize your report performance.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can filter the dataset in Power Query to load the last 12 months only

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gauravg3 what do you mean "static" and "dynamic"?

Only refresh the last one month?  Look into incremental refresh.

Hi, sorry should have explained in a more clear way.

Thing is I am extracting data from Service Now and using power automate to get the data in Power BI (via Outlook). Since the data size is getting higher, data is not getting attached to outlook.

As the count for last 11 months would remain unchanged, so was thinking if within Power BI , is there a way to add those values as numbers (may be in table, or something similar) and only apply the query to get the data for last 1 month; this way the data size would reduce to only 1 month data. 

Hi @gauravg3 ,

According to your statement, I know your data source is Servicenow. It is a web data source.  Incremental refresh is a good way to load data in dynamic date range. However web data source doesn't support query folding, so incremental refresh may show bad performance due to large size of data.

For reference: Sources that support folding

Here I suggest you to do some transform in Power Query Editor.

Filter static table in the previous 11 months.

1.png

Then use Group BY to get aggregate values.

2.png

Filter dynamic table by This Month.

3.png

You may refer to this blog to learn more details about how to optmize your report performance.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.