Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Static Matrix Structure (P&L)

Hello,

I'm migrating a P&L from Excel to Power Bi, but I found dificulties trying to organize rows not alphabetically (or other standard PBI possibilities), but in a static and custom sequence.

I know how to organize my first layer information as I want, but I have 6 Drill Down levels, and I want to make each level organized statically.

I want PBI organized like the excel above, regardless alphabetical order or values column.

felipebsoares_0-1600453175725.png

I Have a DB of Financial Acounts like this:

felipebsoares_1-1600453388596.png

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

You could try adding an index column for each of your columns to use as  "sort column by" (each column by its own index) in the table view

Something like this:

069C3B6F-50F9-4FFE-BF52-D5E68E7ABBED.jpeg

and see if that maintains the sorting order.

example.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

take a look at the following link: https://exceleratorbi.com.au/build-a-pl-with-power-bi/

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @FrankAT ,

I didn't try the solution he proposed on the video, but I watched it and it could work.

I'll reply as soon as I make the test.

Thanks again for your help.

@Anonymous 

How about building the structure in Excel, creating the hierarchies by columns, and the importing into PBI to build the matrix from there?

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul, thanks for your answer.

That's what I tried to do when I created the "DB of Financial Acounts", wich is organized exactly as you said. The problem is when I create a Matrix visual and drag my Drill down levels into it, then PBI organize each line alphabetically as default, and if I use any other column to ordinate by value, I'll get my 1st level accounts all mixed.

@Anonymous 

You could try adding an index column for each of your columns to use as  "sort column by" (each column by its own index) in the table view

Something like this:

069C3B6F-50F9-4FFE-BF52-D5E68E7ABBED.jpeg

and see if that maintains the sorting order.

example.JPG

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Paul.

Sorry for taking that long to reply, I'm involved with other projects so I wasn´t able to work on this for a while.

Apparently your solution is working very well, I'm still not able to dedicate much time to this project, but as far as I tested, you solved it. 

Thank you very much !!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.