Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Start report up showing the current year

I cant quite seem to find a decent way to do this.

Say you have 5 years of data and whenever the user opens the report, they want it to automatically open up on the current year

I know you could add a relative filter

Filter.JPG

But i dont want the users to have to mess with Filters. I want them to be able to move from say 2020 the current year to 2019 in a filter. So 2020 is the default, until we get to 2021 and then it will automatically move to the next year.

Is there any way of doing this?

9 REPLIES 9
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@DebbieE 

Set the relative filter as per your screenshot and hide the filter. Users who are "Viewer" role can't edit the filter.

If it helps, mark it as a solution 

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thats not what i want to do. 

I dont think a filter is the right way to go. i dont really want users amending the filter. I was them to be able to Open the report to current year and then change a slicer so the whole point is for it to be editable by the user

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Did not get it completely.

You can have this filter in the filter pane for 2 years and allow users to filter on the page using a slicer.

Sorry no, thats not what i want to do either. The filter is just shown because I understand that there is a relative filter but in this case I dont think I need to use that.

I want the user to open the report on current year.

Then they have the ability to reset the filter to another year. 

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@DebbieE 

As far as I know there isn't a solution for this other than relative filter. 

For one of my report I used BETWEEN date slicer and I want the slicer to default to current fiscal year. Though the TO date in the slicer was automatically updated to current date but there isn't any option to update the FROM date dynamically.So i had to set the FROM date and publish it. 

Unfortunately I have to set the FROM date every year untill there is an option to do so.

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too 

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think this could do with being added into Power BI if you have date on a slicer, you should be able to select a current format option so It will set at the current year or month, which ever you are using

Hi @DebbieE ,

I think you have had an idea to solve the problem based on your answer. Have you resolved it successfully?  If yes, you could mark your answer as a solution.  More people will benefit from this thread.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No sorry, this one hasnt been resolved.

There are a few ways. One was the relative date filter, you have shown . Second is that you stop your calendar till today and then have the formula for this year

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.