Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

phillip_from_oz
Frequent Visitor

Start Power BI Desktop from the cmd in Windows 10

Hi,

Power BI is installed on my WIndows 10 workstation and it works from the Start menu.

I want to start Power BI Desktop on Windows 10 from cmd & also Powershell  with a *.pbix file

a. If in cmd I run PBIDesktop.exe myfile.pbix

I get 'PBIDesktop.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command

b. Searching in "c:\Program Files" I find "c:\Program Files\Power BI Report Builder\PowerBIReportBuilder.exe"

This is the only *.exe in c:\Program Files\Power BI Report Builder

c. Searching in "c:\Program Files (x86)" there is no Power BI directory or anything similar

d. If I seach the entire c: I find a PBIDesktop.exe in "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.103.881.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\bin"
But when I run it I get Access denied even when I'm administrator

The question is how do I run Power BI from the command line with a *.pbix file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@phillip_from_oz , I think you have installed Power BI desktop from the windows/Microsoft store as app.

refer if this blog can help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/starting-windows-10-store-app-from-the-command...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
phillip_from_oz
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that very quick reply.

The Power BI Desktop *.exe was installed from 'Microsoft Store' so there is no traditional PBIDesktop.exe.
The reference does give some help in finding a way of running the Power BI Desktop from the 'Microsoft Store' version.
I ended up finding a MS download link that installed the *.exe

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@phillip_from_oz , I think you have installed Power BI desktop from the windows/Microsoft store as app.

refer if this blog can help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/starting-windows-10-store-app-from-the-command...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.