Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Star or snowflake model

Hello, I will develop a bi with more than 100 reports and many data. In principle I started designing the model in star but I have doubts if snowflake is better? What do you think? On the other hand, you could have several pbix files with star model and others in snowflake not? Or you see a problem. Thanks a lot. A greeting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
It is really depended on your data itself, you can say Snowflake is the extension of the star schema. Snowflake schema is easy to maintain, lessen the redundancy hence consumes less space but complex to design. Whereas star schema is simple to understand and design, uses less number of joins and simple queries but have some issues such as data redundancy and integrity.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
It is really depended on your data itself, you can say Snowflake is the extension of the star schema. Snowflake schema is easy to maintain, lessen the redundancy hence consumes less space but complex to design. Whereas star schema is simple to understand and design, uses less number of joins and simple queries but have some issues such as data redundancy and integrity.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite often is a matter of data. Sometimes you can't reduce a model to a complete Star. Very often my models are snowflaked

spg_vizcube
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Anonymous 

Once you have your model ready (preferably in Star), you can run several reports on it. Start schema has been most efficient. 

Appreciate your Kudos!

If I solve your problem, please accept this as a Solution

Add me on Linked In , Visit my blog vizcube.biz
Subscribe to my youtube channel 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Power Bi recommend Star Schema. Any DW/BI system will prefer that. But Snowflake will work.

refer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.