Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SO
Helper III
Helper III

Standard Deviation and Z-Score with Multiple and In-Service

I have a challenge similar to the one found in a similar thread (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Z-Score-Calculation-with-Multiple-Filters/m-p/749498#M3612...but with a few twists.  My data is about a group of people and comes live from in-service.

I want to show the z scores of the courses based on the %s of people assigned an R.    Below each bar represents a course and their Z score based on the percentage of "R"s in a course.  

SO_0-1638984553389.png

I have created some sample data that shows the idea working in excel/google.  
The data I access is 'In Service' so I can't create the same approach and so I need to work in Dax and Measures.  

Table: People

Course   section  n(all)     Rtot   %ofR      $Mean    $SDV        Deviation      Z- Value

ABC        01           3          1       33.3%                       

ABX        02           113     12      10.6%                      

BBB        01           347      31      8.9%                        

BBB        08            57       5        8.8%                        

CCC        1           1212               0.0%                        

DDD       12         222                 0.0%                        

This table contains thousands of entries and most have no Rs, so there are a lot of blanks or '0's in the data.  People in the courses have been assigned a group and number e.g., R(0-49), L1(50-59), L2 (60-69), L3(70-79), L4(80-100).   

**this is an update, I realize now that I need to weigh the Standard deviations.  The reason for this is to recognize that while ABC has 33% Rs, and ABX has 10%, The ABC course only had 3 people, while ABC has a 113.   I think this is the overall formula:  

SO_0-1639071032634.png

n(all) is the count of people in a course (ignoring the section)

Rtot is the total number of people assigned to R (anyone with a 0-49 number).  

aka CALCULATE(COUNTA('People'[Group]), 'People'[Group] IN { "R" })

%ofR is the percentage of Rs (aka R total divided by the sum of L1, L2, L3, L4). 

Rtot / COUNTA('People'[Group])

Using the code from the other forum I tried to calculate the mean, Standard Deviation and Z-Code.  

var _mean = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('People'[group]),Filter(ALLEXCEPT('People',''People'[group]), 'People'[group] >0))
return _mean

I suspect the issue is with the >0 as my values are not numbers. 

I was also not able to use the following to calculate the deviation.  

• var deviation = CALCULATE(STDEV.P('People'[group]), FILTER( ALLEXCEPT('People',''People'[group]), 'People'[group]>0 ))

I thought that I was able to calculate Standard Deviation via, but it doesn't appear correct.  People are grouped into courses and and sections, but I want to ingore the section and look at the distribution of assigned groups. 

• $SDV  = Var __Count = CALCULATE(STDEVX.P(People,[#z Decimal % of R])) RETURN __COUNT
  • #z Decimal % of R = 

VAR __BASELINE_VALUE =

CALCULATECOUNTA('People'[Group]), 'People'[Group] IN { "R")
VAR __MEASURE_VALUE = COUNTA('People'[Group])
RETURN
    IFNOT ISBLANK(__MEASURE_VALUE), 1 - DIVIDE(__MEASURE_VALUE - __BASELINE_VALUE, __MEASURE_VALUE))

Since there are many coures without a "R"  (Blank or Zeros) any calculations will be skewed, so I'm also trying to find a way to calculate when there is more than 1 person in each group assigned to Group  'R' .  Ideally, when there are more than 1, 2 (insert value) people are assigned an 'R'.    

This is just a few of the challenges related to this as I've spent dozens of hours struggling to work through this.  Any help is much appreciated.   Ultimately, I want to show the z scores of the courses based on the %s of people assigned an R. 

Support is much appreciated!!!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SO The solution has been attached. See if this works for you. There are two pages, tweak the formulas as you see fit.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SO
Helper III
Helper III

Thank YOU!  @parry2k   - this is fantastic!!!  I am confident that when someone goes looking for information on Standard Deviation and Z-Score, this will be the source.  Your Dax measures are clear and crisp!!  I will start to work on creating weighted measures now, but I'm off to such a great start.  Your logic is so clear.  I was trying to bring everything into 3 measures.  This is so helpful!!

Big Big Kudos to you.  Thanks again for being such a great support to this community !  😁

Shawn  

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SO The solution has been attached. See if this works for you. There are two pages, tweak the formulas as you see fit.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

SO
Helper III
Helper III

To anyone that looked, I think I partially solved this (in a less than ideal way) and will upload Dax once I can verify it is working for various scenarios.  I can find the Z score of the courses, but now I realize that I need to weight them according to the size of the course.  Ugg...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors