Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

krdavies

Stacked bar chart to show 5-year revenue by category

Hello, I am trying to replicate the following visual which was created from a Pivot table:

krdavies_0-1669219525326.png

However in BI I cannot find a way to show this as an annual trend with the year along the x-axis and the amount of revenue on the y-axis. Is the issue with the way I have formatted the underlying data? A screenshot of the table is below:

krdavies_0-1669219768198.png

In my Pivot table, Columns-=Funding source, Values=Sum of (each year) and Rows=Values, with Faculty set as a filter. 

I appreciate any help and ideas. I don't know how to do macros/coding so I'm hoping this can be accomplished through tools in the UI. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dcrosseto
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @krdavies ,

I would say that yes, the issue is with the way your table is formated. If you cannot change it, I think you would've to create one measure for every year/column, summing it separetly.

Or you could also use PowerQuery to pivot your table before creating the reports, that'll help everything that regards this columns, such as filters, measures and etc. Your life will be easier.

Regards,

Douglas.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
krdavies

Thanks, @dcrosseto . I tried a PowerQuery to unpivot my revenue columns and I am now able to produce the chart! I appreciate how fast you were able to help!

dcrosseto
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @krdavies ,

I would say that yes, the issue is with the way your table is formated. If you cannot change it, I think you would've to create one measure for every year/column, summing it separetly.

Or you could also use PowerQuery to pivot your table before creating the reports, that'll help everything that regards this columns, such as filters, measures and etc. Your life will be easier.

Regards,

Douglas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.