Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dhouchin
Frequent Visitor

Stacked Line Charts Across Date

So we are working in Power BI and I am having some difficulty with displaying a specific need in a line chart.  In short we track certain types of issues in our CRM.  We need to display the data based not on calendar year but rather by year starting from 7/1-6/30.  Since each entry has a creation time in it's own year, if I use that to display my line chart I cant overlap the data.  What I need to do is be able to break the data down by month/day and display overlapping lines to see peaks in given years.  When I do this by customising a column it displays it the way I want except it has a long chart that you have to scroll through.  I need the ability to display the chart in a Continuous Type so it will simply only take up the space of the width of the chart itself.  The first image is what I have in Power BI currently and the second image is what we need it to do, as it currently does in Excel. 

PowerBI Line Chart.png

PowerBI Line Chart 2.png

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dhouchin,

In a line chart, we are able to change the X-Axis type as Continuous via below property:

a1.PNG

a2.PNG

But it requires the A-axis field to be Date type or Number type. In your scenario, it seems you are using text data type in A-axis, please change it to Date field like "2016-07-01".

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft,

I appreciate your reply to this message, however as I noted in my original post, I need to see the data outlined in a method where the different years are their own line and the X axis only shows the Month/Day.  I have tried the formating options you listed below, and they do not work as they show  each year throughout the chart and not one on top of the other.  Is there any other option out there?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think you want to display daily data on a Monthly axis?

In Excel when you change the width of the chart to make it smaller the X-Axis will adjust from days to months and then even start skipping months etc..

So even if you are displaying daily data it will start showing you the Months as you make the chart smaller!

I believe this is what you are asking for - unfortunately PBI will not act the same way you'll get the scroll bar.

dhouchin
Frequent Visitor

@Sean,You are right in regards to how Excel works and basically that is exactly what I need to replicate if possible. 

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dhouchin You can try something like this set up (although you'll have to adjust for your Fiscal Year)

2016-10-28 - Daily Data on Monthly Axis.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dhouchin I think the October Update may help you!

Read the Section for "Improved Date Axis Range Formatting" here

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-feature-summary/

It seems we got excatly the bahavior I mentioned - make the chart smaller and the Axis Labels adjust automatically!

However the X-Axis has to be continous for this to work!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.