Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

t-atgeor
Employee
Employee

Stacked Column chart - Totals

Hi, am struggling on creating a view using the Stacked Column visual, which represents two fields - IT cost and Total costs. I would like to have the IT costs as part of the Total Costs, however, the graph shows me a sum of both, which is not correct. How can I change this?

I thought by creating another column, called Other costs ( Total costs  - IT costs) and simply have a sum of both then, however, would be brilliant if on top, I could see a data label showing me the sum. If this is the solution, how do I get this label?

Thanks , Atanas

6 REPLIES 6
wasim
Frequent Visitor

Frustrated that PBI does not have a simple Total to a stacked column/bar graph I am now using matrix tables on my graphs. I have multi periods and therefore the card method is not ideal. 

Steps: Create a Matrix Table >> Change Column Header Font Color & Background to White >> Turn off the Auto-Size for Column Headers >> Outline to None >> Do the same for Row Headers>> Change Grid Outline color to white >> Send the Matrix Table to back.

Hope this helps. It is not perfect but at least takes care of multi-period bar graphs provided the number of periods is constant. 

Chocolate.JPG

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Create a card visualization and put Total Cost in it and then place it above your column.

costs.png

Unfortunately, the stacked column visualization does not allow you to have a reference line tied to a column or measure, it only currently supports a Constant line.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

thanks for responding. I have seen some people including a Line Value as Totals, however, it seems to be possible to only show the Total on the Line and not have the split in labels in the columns. Do you happen to know how they do it?

/just like you showed in your example however without the labels in the columns and the line crossing the edge on the top and showing the Total/

Thank you.

Atanas

To get rid of the data labels, go into the format painter and turn off Data Labels. For the line, see @v-caliao-msft's post. However, if you turn off data labels, I believe you will have to use the Card visualization technique.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler, @v-caliao-msft,

thanks for responding. My question was more whether there is a possibility to apply data labels only on the line ,and not on the columns, or the other way around?

Regards,

Atanas

Hi @t-atgeor

Could you provide a screenshot about it? I have tested it on my local environment, the chart looks like below.
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors