Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stacked Bar/Line chart not displaying or summarizing properly

Relatively new Power BI user seeking assistance.
I am comparing water supply to demand at several locations in a watershed. I can properly filter supply and demand by location of interest, and properly display the supply or demand individually. However when i try to combine the two, the summarizing or display is not correct.
In the attached image, Location of Interest is in top right, Demand is top left, Supply is bottom left. The middle and lower right visuals are 2 attempts to combine the charts at left using the Stacked Bar/line visual. When i use the date from the Supply data (middle right), supply appears correctly, but demand seems to be averaging over the year. Conversely, in the lower right, when i use the date from the demand data, demands appear properly, but supply appears to be averaged over the year. I have tried all of the summarization options in the Visualization pane drop down.
Any suggestions on how to make the combo chart show the data as displayed in the idividual charts at left would be greatly appreciated!

WaterNerd_0-1596662916789.png

9 REPLIES 9
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

The attached picture is too small to be clearly recognized, can you choose a large size for display ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-easonf-msft , please let me know if i can provide other useful info- thanks for looking!

for clarity Flow=Supply, and AF=demand; the first image is unfiltered and the absolute values shown (Supply vs demand) will be somewhat different. 

WaterNerd_2-1596730798326.png

This image uses a Location of interest (Gage) to filter, and the values should be much closer/overlap each other. 

WaterNerd_3-1596730925150.png

Hi , @Anonymous 

Can you share a  sample pbix file   which would help tremendously.

You are unlikely to reach a solution in community forum for this kind of unknown issue that we cannot test and reproduce without a sample file.

You also can  create a support ticket or even ask for a phone call support in the ticket.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @v-easonf-msft 

I have uploaded the file at the link below. Thanks for looking.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DLfzHuNI3f3HTv6npaRpSYk4jilo-th1/view?usp=sharing 

Hi @Anonymous  - 

On both graphs on the right, you can use a secondary y-axis to show line values separate from column values. On the formatting section, scroll to the bottom of "Y-axis"and you'll see "Show Secondary". Turn that on and you can have a completely independent axis for the line values.

2020-08-11 13_32_55-N_and_BASE_problem (3) - Power BI Desktop.png

Hope this helps,

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dedelman_clng , Thank you for the suggestion.

I have tried the secondary axis, however it does not change the summarization which appears to be the problem.  I turned the secondary axis on in the example posted previously, and while the data now overlaps, the straight line in the right visual should look like the line in the left visual. 

WaterNerd_0-1597175583552.png

It looks like you're trying to graph 2 sets of data (Flow, unstacked_demand) that don't have a relationship with each other. The data model in your example report is very confusing because it is many-to-many relationships all around.

What you should be aiming for is having a Date table, and then creating a relationship with those data tables with dates (Flow, unstacked_demand).  You can then use the date column in your Date table as the axis, and you'll be able to associate Flow and unstacked_demand together.  Right now, Flow doesn't know about unstacked_demand's date column, nor vice versa.

One other thing to note is that one set of data seems to be continuous (Flow; value every day) while the other is categorical (unstacked_demand; one value per month).  Those may not play well together on one graph, as either the monthly data will appear as very tiny line, or the daily data will show as a the value on the same day as the monthly data. The latter behavior is shown below (once I removed some model relationships to allow unranked_demand to be linked to the date table):

2020-08-11 15_18_15-RussianV4_DP (1) - Power BI Desktop.png

Let us know some more information on what the data is and why the relationship are how they are and we may be able to point you further in the right direction.

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dedelman_clng 

Thank you for the review and assessment.  I will have to go back and build this one differntly i think.  I had tried to link the dates, but some other relationship was preventing that. Perhaps having the maps and other data was making this more complicated than i am really ready for.  I have daily demands and will see if that works better in a simpler model. 

Good luck! Feel free to reach out for further assistance if needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.