Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

weilip1803
Frequent Visitor

Sql data interactions

Currently I have 2 graphs and I want the graphs to be interactive. For example if i click on graph 1 column A i want the graph 2 to make this sql query "A" and if i Click on graph 1 column b i want the graph 2 to make sql query "B" 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi weilip1803,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to use drill-down feature in Power BI. Currently, the feature is not available in Power BI but it is under review, please vote it and add your comments in the following idea. In addition, you can consider to create reports in SQL Server Reporting Services and use the drill-down feature.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/282523-bi-in-sql-vnext/suggestions/7052191-drill-through-actions-pa...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
weilip1803
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply matt. Okay just to be sure let me ask with me sql code.THis was my initial idea.

GRAPH A
------------------------------------------------
SELECT TOP (10)
[Project1].[C3] AS [C1],
[Project1].[ParentTaxonomyName] AS [ParentTaxonomyName],
[Project1].[C2] AS [C2]
FROM ( SELECT
[GroupBy1].[A1] AS [C1],
[GroupBy1].[A2] AS [C2],
[GroupBy1].[K1] AS [ParentTaxonomyName],
1 AS [C3]
FROM ( SELECT
[Extent1].[ParentTaxonomyName] AS [K1],
COUNT(1) AS [A1],
COUNT(1) AS [A2]
FROM [dbo].[VariableOrderTaxonomies] AS [Extent1]
WHERE [Extent1].[IsBestFit] = 1
GROUP BY [Extent1].[ParentTaxonomyName]
) AS [GroupBy1]
) AS [Project1]
ORDER BY [Project1].[C1] DESC

Graph B changes when parent taxonomy name is clicked
---------------------------------------------------
SELECT TOP (5)
[Project1].[C3] AS [C1],
[Project1].[SubTaxonomyName] AS [SubTaxonomyName],
[Project1].[C2] AS [C2]
FROM ( SELECT
[GroupBy1].[A1] AS [C1],
[GroupBy1].[A2] AS [C2],
[GroupBy1].[K1] AS [SubTaxonomyName],
1 AS [C3]
FROM ( SELECT
[Extent1].[SubTaxonomyName] AS [K1],
COUNT(1) AS [A1],
COUNT(1) AS [A2]
FROM [dbo].[VariableOrderTaxonomies] AS [Extent1]
WHERE ([Extent1].[IsBestFit] = 1) AND ([Extent1].[ParentTaxonomyName] = '<ParentTaxnonomyName>')

/* The angular brackets is the unknown that i want to show the relavent parent taxonomyName is clicked on A*/

GROUP BY [Extent1].[SubTaxonomyName]
) AS [GroupBy1]
) AS [Project1]
ORDER BY [Project1].[C1] DESC

So if i want to make it interactive, i would need to fetch both results to the same table correct then Power BI will allow interactions correct?

Hi weilip1803,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to use drill-down feature in Power BI. Currently, the feature is not available in Power BI but it is under review, please vote it and add your comments in the following idea. In addition, you can consider to create reports in SQL Server Reporting Services and use the drill-down feature.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/282523-bi-in-sql-vnext/suggestions/7052191-drill-through-actions-pa...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @weilip1803,

Agree with MattAllington, adding to his post,in Power BI, visualizations on a report page can be interactive by using cross-filter and cross-highlight features. For example, selecting a data range on a clustered column chart highlights the data range on a stacked bar chart, for more details, please check the following screenshots.
Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Cross-highlight functionality is available in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. Cross-filter feature is available in Power BI Service, for more details about how it works, please review the following article.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-visual-interactions/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

What do you mean "make SQL query"?  Power BI is an encapsulated reporting tool. It will slice and dice across the data it has loaded, but it cannot fetch a new SQL statement based on chart interaction.  You should load the data you want to report on into Power BI, and then slice and dice from there 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.