Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Splunk and Power BI

Hi Everyone,

The IT manager has mentioned Splunk may be a useful tool to extract data we need from some of our machines. I was wondering if anyone has linked the Splunk data with Power BI or knows if it can be done?

Thanks,

Giles

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Below are the steps you need to perform to connect the splunk data with power Bi.

- Download the odbc 64 bit driver from

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1606/

- Install the driver and create a new DSN connection from splunk data source in odbc 64 driver.

- Fill the  server details userid and password.

- Goto Power Bi and add new connection.

- Click on odbc and then provide credetials for splunk server and then connect.

-Select the tables from the database.

-load the data in power bi.

hope it will help.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am able to use the 64-bit Splunk ODBC driver with Power BI Desktop just fine, but when I install the 64-bit version on our Windows Server 2012 R2 and attempt to add a data source to the gateway in the service then I get this error. At one point there was an error about "C:\Program Files\Splunk ODBC Driver\lib\SplunkDSII.dll" not being found, but it is installed. From what I have read this could indicate that the wrong version (32 vs 64) version of the driver is installed but I confirmed I do have the 64-bit. Any ideas?

Savers Data Gateway:Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Underlying error code:-2147467259
Underlying error message:ODBC: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind:Odbc
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath:dsn=Splunk ODBC Driver
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error
pqian
Employee
Employee

Splunk support is not in PowerBI yet and there is an user voice page for this:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7018273-pull-data-from-splunk

meanwhile, PowerBI comes with a pretty powerful ETL tool, why not give it a try to extract those data for you directly?

Hi All

I could see no updates to the below idea. Is there any other way to connect to Splunk data. Please advise.

Hi,

there's actually an app for doing this but I didn't try it yet:

splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3953

cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.