Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kboscar1
Frequent Visitor

Splitting and pivoting comma separated column

Hi all,

After playing around with both Power Query and Dax functions, I can officially say that I'm stuck. 

I have a column in my table that looks like this:

Project NumberComplexity Counts
1Simple (2), Medium (1)
2Medium (5)
3Large (1), Simple (1)
4Mini (.5)
5Mini (1), Medium (3)

I want to both split by delimeter and pivot the columns so that my table looks like this:

Project NumberSimpleMediumLargeMini

Here is what I have tried:

1. Power Query -

• Split column by the comma delimeter 

Project

Complexity Counts 1.1

Complexity Counts 1.2

Simple (2)

Medium (1)

Medium (5)

null

Large (1)

Simple (1)

Mini (.5)

null

Mini (1)

Medium (3)
  • Split each of these new columns by the "(" and then remove the extra ")"

Project

Complexity Counts 1.1

Complexity Counts 1.1.1

Complexity Counts 1.2Complexity Counts 1.2.1

Simple

Medium1

Medium

nullnull

Large 

Simple1

Mini

nullnull

Mini

Medium 3
  • Pivot "Complexity Counts 1.1" into Complexity Counts 1.1.1
  • Project

SimpleMediumLargeMiniComplexity Counts 1.2Complexity Counts 1.2.1

21nullnullMedium1

null5nullnullnullnull

1null1nullSimple1

nullnullnull.5nullnull

null3null1Medium 3

Issues with this:

1. When I try to pivot "Complexity Counts 1.2" I get an error that columns "Medium" and "Simple" already exist. I would like for this to pivot these numbers into the existing columns but clearly it doesn't work like that.
  2. I don't know how many Complexities are going to be in each column. While the example I show only has 1-2 complexities per project, they might have more. So I would have to do this power query forumla on an unknown number of columns after separating by the comma delimeter.

Dax:

• I tried in Dax just creating a custom column for each complexity type, like
    • Medium = IF(CONTAINSSTRING('Project Tracker'[Complexity Counts], "Medium"), True, False)
  • Issues with this:
    • I cannot figure out how to get the actual count instead of just True or False. A column with "Medium (2), Simple (1)", should return a 2.
    • New complexities arise all the time. They may not always be Mini, Simple, Medium, and Large. So I would have to go in and create a new column anytime a new complexity shows up in the spreadsheet.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @kboscar1 

Please paste the following code into the advanced editor and follow the steps. I've broken them up into digestible steps (hopefully):

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrOzC3ISVXQMNLUUfBNTckszVXQMNRUitWJVjICSsOETCFCxkAhn8Si9FSQIh0FmGaoBhOQhsy8TAUNPah6U7iIIZL5xkDJWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Project Number" = _t, #"Complexity Counts" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project Number", Int64.Type}, {"Complexity Counts", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.Split([Complexity Counts], "," )),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" (", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Custom.1", "Custom.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom.1", type text}, {"Custom.2", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1",")","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Custom.2"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Replaced Value",{"Complexity Counts"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom.1]), "Custom.1", "Custom.2")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

... also enclosing the file

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @kboscar1 

Please paste the following code into the advanced editor and follow the steps. I've broken them up into digestible steps (hopefully):

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrOzC3ISVXQMNLUUfBNTckszVXQMNRUitWJVjICSsOETCFCxkAhn8Si9FSQIh0FmGaoBhOQhsy8TAUNPah6U7iIIZL5xkDJWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Project Number" = _t, #"Complexity Counts" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project Number", Int64.Type}, {"Complexity Counts", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.Split([Complexity Counts], "," )),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" (", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Custom.1", "Custom.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom.1", type text}, {"Custom.2", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1",")","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Custom.2"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Replaced Value",{"Complexity Counts"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom.1]), "Custom.1", "Custom.2")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

... also enclosing the file

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @kboscar1 

Your final screenshot looks correct except that it has the two extra columns. Can't you just delete those columns once you are at the point or create a reference query and the use the formulas outlined in this thread to replicate the index/match feature with a LOOKUPVALUE: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/power-bi-quot-Index-Match-quot/td-p/119419

?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.