Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan_b_fiting
Post Patron
Post Patron

Splitting Column by delimiter

Hello Community - 

I am looking to split one of my columns by a delimiter (comma), however, some of the text strings use a comma for grammatical purposes.  Is there a way to split a column by comma that is followed by a space and capital letter?  See small sample of data below:

Current Data:

First-Aid Provided On Site?Body Part(s)
YesHand(s), (not wrist, fingers, thumb)
YesLower Extremities-Foot, Lower Extremities-Lower Leg, Lower Extremities-Upper Leg
YesBody Systems & Multiple Body Systems
YesUpper Extremities-Hand, Upper Extremities-Thumb, Upper Extremities-Wrist

What I need to see once the column is split:

First-Aid Provided On Site?Body Part(s).1Body Part(s).2Body Part(s).3
YesHand(s), (not wrist, fingers, thumb)  
YesLower Extremities-Foot Lower Extremities-Lower Leg Lower Extremities-Upper Leg
YesBody Systems & Multiple Body Systems  
YesUpper Extremities-Hand Upper Extremities-Thumb Upper Extremities-Wrist

Is there anyway to acheive this in Power Query so we can properly split the column by the correct comma delimiter?

Thank You Community!

Ryan F

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ryan_b_fiting , you have split the column by delimiters, But that is going to create 2 columns for first one , So you might have to remove the comma in first one based on some logic

Split Column Power Query: https://youtu.be/FyO9Vmhcfag

@amitchandak thanks for the reply, but this does not provide any value for my issue unfortunatley.  I am fully aware of how to split columns by a delimiter, but I am looking for a more advanced solution that will allow be to properly split based on my original post.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.