Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Locco
Helper III
Helper III

Split rows based on quantity

I'm trying to split rows based on a quantity value.

Each row has a quantity from 1-100. If the quantity is more than 1 I would like to split it into multiple rows. For instance if the quantity is 17 I would like 17 rows for that item.

How could I best achieve this?

6 REPLIES 6
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Locco 

Is your problem solved? If not, can you provide some data removing sensitive data or show your expected table?

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

I am still having an issue, but I don't think I can actually do this with the current data setup. I'm going to review the data and how it is pulled to the report to see what/if changes can be made and then go from there.

OK. If you have problem, please let us known.

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Locco
Helper III
Helper III

If I can validate that each new row actually matches the initial quantity then I could use this and instead of counting the QUANTITY field I could count rows. I'll see if I can validate that and go from there.

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can try this:

1) Create a new custom column in Power Query Editor using the below formula:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step", "CustomCoumn", each List.Repeat({[Quantity]},[Quantity]))

PC2790_0-1614349457247.png

2) Now Expand to new rows as below:

PC2790_1-1614349561594.png

I hope this will solve your purpose

That didn't work, all it did was copy the column. It did it copy rows though, where I had less than 100,000 rows I now have over 1 million. The Quantity doesn't show 1 though, it shows the value that is in "QUANTITY."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.