Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichalSimota
Frequent Visitor

Split duration by hour of day

Hi all

I need to solve, how to split duration of downtime by hour of day. So duration of downtime will be assigned to hour, when it happened and not just to start or end hour.

This is table with original data:Original data.PNG

Thanks to help in this thread, I'm able to split it, but have issue when downtime starts at one day and ends next day. Then it is hidden and excluded from data.

Previous threat with duration split

Here is table what I want to achieve with examples of data I have problem with:I_want_achieve.PNG

Many thanks

Michal

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Take a look at these two Quick Measures as I think you want something like them.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Open-Tickets/m-p/409364
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Periodic-Billing/m-p/409365

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I have biggest problem with formula you also have in those codes (in Filter). I have in code this formula:

Start <= hour of day&&end >= hour of day

But when start is at 23:00 one day and end is 01:00 another day I'm out of this range. I need to add something like:

when start<>end then hour of day>= start OR hour of day<=end

As I'm new in DAX i don't know how to build such condition.

Many thanks

Michal

Hi MichalSimota,

"But when start is at 23:00 one day and end is 01:00 another day I'm out of this range. I need to add something like:

when start<>end then hour of day>= start OR hour of day<=end"

<--- How can hour of day be compared with start or end? Hour of day in your table is number type while start and end is date type. In addtion, could you post the expected result in your sample table?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy Tao

Not sure, if I can add pbix file to make it easier, but expected result is in my original post(second table).

Maybe I can compare it with something else, but don't know how to build it.

I have there hour of day, because what I need as result in report is to see total of downtimes in each hour e.g.:

hour of day= 1 - 500s downtime

hour of day= 2 - 3600s downtime ....

Regards

Michal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.