Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mike22
Helper III
Helper III

Split columns by Delimiter and create multiple rows in DAX

Hello,

I have another challange for which I need your assistance.

I have the following table

Trip NumberFull Itinerary
3564(01)GENEVA,GE,SWITZERLAND to SKOPJE,FYRO MACEDONIA > , (02)SKOPJE,FYRO MACEDONIA to GENEVA,GE,SWITZERLAND > 
529(01)PANAMA CITY,PANAMA to AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS > , (02)AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS to PARIS,75,FRANCE > , (03)PARIS,75,FRANCE to AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS > , (04)AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS to PANAMA CITY,PANAMA > 

I want to create a new table in power BI with this result

Trip numberOriginDestinationLeg
3564GENEVA,GE,SWITZERLANDSKOPJE,FYRO MACEDONIA 1
3564SKOPJE,FYRO MACEDONIA GENEVA,GE,SWITZERLAND 2
529PANAMA CITY,PANAMA AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS 1
529AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS PARIS,75,FRANCE 2
529PARIS,75,FRANCE AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS  3
529AMSTERDAM,NETHERLANDS PANAMA CITY,PANAMA 4

I do not know how many items the full itinerary has but the constant delimiter is the ">" and the "to" for origin and destination. If I split this in edit query I get of course many empty columns this is why I want to work by rows.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Mike22,

I don't think they can achieve through dax formula, you can take a look at following query query formula about transform format:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jY/LCsIwEEV/ZciqhVnEPhSXQzqtUZOWJFRq7dK1G/1/CxbxUcTdwNxzH30v0nyZCRSRXMQVW24JK0Z/0OHIbk+2gOsF/K5utoxl52owpLiorSY43aRMz4AQySSel4zsvOnEigF7kSfrqUBDlgyB0qHD6R4dyPjAriCDlsPmYeDf0+clI9uQ0x5XOZaOrOJXKo0/n/9kZb+yvto/Zw53", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Trip Number" = _t, #"Full Itinerary" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Itinerary", each List.RemoveLastN(List.Transform(Text.Split([Full Itinerary],">"),each Text.Trim(Text.End(_,Text.Length(_)-Text.PositionOf(_,")")-1)," ")),1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Full Itinerary"}),
    #"Expanded Itinerary" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Itinerary"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Expanded Itinerary", "Itinerary", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("to", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Origin", "Destination"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Trip Number", Int64.Type}, {"Origin", type text}, {"Destination", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Trip Number"}, {{"Contents", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index", 1, 1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Contents" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Contents", {"Origin", "Destination", "Index"}, {"Origin", "Destination", "Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Contents"

16.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I am trying to split 3 columns by delimiter.  How can I create 2 rows with the new info after the & delimiter without duplicating everything 6 times?

My data looks like this

Installed model                         Capacity                    Category

Unit A & Unit B                       5.00 & 2.50                      2 & 1

Should look like

Unit A                                    5.00                                    2

Unit B                                      2.5                                    1

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Mike22,

I don't think they can achieve through dax formula, you can take a look at following query query formula about transform format:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jY/LCsIwEEV/ZciqhVnEPhSXQzqtUZOWJFRq7dK1G/1/CxbxUcTdwNxzH30v0nyZCRSRXMQVW24JK0Z/0OHIbk+2gOsF/K5utoxl52owpLiorSY43aRMz4AQySSel4zsvOnEigF7kSfrqUBDlgyB0qHD6R4dyPjAriCDlsPmYeDf0+clI9uQ0x5XOZaOrOJXKo0/n/9kZb+yvto/Zw53", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Trip Number" = _t, #"Full Itinerary" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Itinerary", each List.RemoveLastN(List.Transform(Text.Split([Full Itinerary],">"),each Text.Trim(Text.End(_,Text.Length(_)-Text.PositionOf(_,")")-1)," ")),1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Full Itinerary"}),
    #"Expanded Itinerary" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Itinerary"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Expanded Itinerary", "Itinerary", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("to", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Origin", "Destination"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Trip Number", Int64.Type}, {"Origin", type text}, {"Destination", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Trip Number"}, {{"Contents", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index", 1, 1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Contents" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Contents", {"Origin", "Destination", "Index"}, {"Origin", "Destination", "Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Contents"

16.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft

for your usual very detailed reply.

Unfortunately I am getting the error below

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Text.
Details:
    Value=
    Type=Type

When on the step

= Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Trip Number"}, {{"Contents", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index", 1, 1), type table}}),

I checked and there are no null values in the trip number do you have any idea of what it could be?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

HI @Mike22,

Can you please share your pbix file with sample source data to test? 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft

I was about to write to you, I just found the issue. The excel source file had 2 completely blank rows that could not be seen as null when filtering on the row but were impacting the calculation.

Thanks a lot for another great solution.

Mike

Hello @v-shex-msft

I am sorry to go back to this topic which was resolved. I have a quick question as I continue my work on this dataset. I would like to now represent this data on a map showing the various flight paths. Ideally, I want also to show the bubble on each city to count the number of flights to the specific city. I do not want to count the last leg back to the origin, but I want to still display it on the map.

I have seen some custom maps that show flight paths but I am not sure how to adapt my data and also which one is the best to show what I am aiming for.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help,

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.