Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RL1
Frequent Visitor

Split column based on text and numerical characters

Hi,

I'm trying to split a column that contains text and number components into two seperate columns, one containing the text characters and another containing the numbers. 

i.e. I want to go from the single column:

AB143

A122

VHG309

X12

XX13

to two columns containing:

AB                   143

A                     122

VHG                309

X                     12

XX                   13

Is this possible within Power BI?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Instead I would propose Text.PositionOfAny as illustrated in this video.

Relevant parts of the code generated during video recording ("PreviousStep" is the name of your previous step):

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1],{"0".."9"})),
    #"Inserted First Characters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "First Characters", each Text.Start([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Inserted Text Range" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted First Characters", "Text Range", each Text.Middle([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Text Range",{"Column1", "Custom"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Text Range", "Number"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Number", Int64.Type}})
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could potentially use PostionOfAny function:

List.PositionOfAny("ABCBA", {"A","B"}, Occurrence.All) equals {0,1,3,4}  

You would probably have to use an M custom function or another function to return the lowest value in the list and then feed that to a Split.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Instead I would propose Text.PositionOfAny as illustrated in this video.

Relevant parts of the code generated during video recording ("PreviousStep" is the name of your previous step):

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1],{"0".."9"})),
    #"Inserted First Characters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "First Characters", each Text.Start([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Inserted Text Range" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted First Characters", "Text Range", each Text.Middle([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Text Range",{"Column1", "Custom"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Text Range", "Number"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Number", Int64.Type}})
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

That works well (& video was very helpful).

Thanks.

If you could get your cell addresses as $A$1 rather that A1, you could simply split columns based on the delimiter $.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.