Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Split column at delimiter "FixedWidth"

In the November 2016 version of Power BI Desktop, the option to split columns by Dellimiter, includes --Fixed Width-- which splits the column at the text "FixedWidth", which does not make much sense.
Probably the option -- Fixed Width -- shouldn't be in this llist at all, as there is another option to split columns by number of characters.

https://youtu.be/nHcztKdC7Cc

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
5 REPLIES 5
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Herbert,

That's perfectly clear. But don't you think it's rather strange to provide " -- Fixed Width --"  as an option in the dropdown list when splitting Columns by Delimiter and moreover: how many people do you think would expect this option to split a test at the literal "FixedWidth" ??

It really doesn't make any sense, so that's why I suggest to remove that option from the dropdown list.

Regards,
Marcel 

@MarcelBeug

I’ve reported it to Power BI Team to get more info about this function. I’m also curious about it.

I’ll post back here once I get any response about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft

In the March 2017 update of Power BI Desktop this option is removed from the list, as I suggested.

So issue solved.

I believe what was going on here is that the only split-column-function that does not exist in Power BI but does so in Excel is the "Fixed Width" option to manually specify where columns end and begin with a slider. Seems like they were attempting to add this to the Power BI Edit Query area but failed to do so correctly. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@MarcelBeug

If use split by number of characters, no character will be lost, all characters will be retained into different columns.

Split column at delimiter FixedWidth_1.jpg

However split at Fixed Width will make “FixedWidth” lost.

Split column at delimiter FixedWidth_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.