Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pcav
Helper I
Helper I

Split a single row into multiple rows

I would be grateful for any assistance with my latest challenge in PowerBI/PowerQuery

I have a table that records engineer recurring activities on a single row with a start and end date .....

rec1.PNG

I need to extrapolate these to another table with one row per engineer per day per activity, like so ...

rec2.PNG

I've been struggling with this for days ...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank for the reply.  In the end I actualy resolved this ... I discovered CROSSJOIN and CALENDER and used these to dynamically create the new table in DAX

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
elJukes
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Pcav

You could try adding an extra column in the Query Editor using this formulae:

Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step","Date", each {Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate])})

That will create a list of all the dates between your start and end (inclusive). You can then expand the column out using the little icon in it's header and it'll create a row per person per day. Once you've expended the Date column out you'll need to format it as a date otherwise it'll look like a bunch of numbers - those numbers are actually date codes.

Thank for the reply.  In the end I actualy resolved this ... I discovered CROSSJOIN and CALENDER and used these to dynamically create the new table in DAX

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.