Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

csudude
Frequent Visitor

Split Time Series Chart by Dimension?

My company is making a transition from Tableau to Power BI and I'm the lucky person tasked with moving existing reports to Power BI.  

We use a lot of time series charts and one of the key features of Tableau is the ability to take a time series chart (any chart/graph really) and easily split that by different dimensions. For example, say there is a chart that represents total transactions for all regions combined.  I can easily drag a dimension (in this example country) to that chart and split that chart into separate charts based on the country name.  Please see the below Tableau screenshot:

Tableau 2019-08-29 .png

My question is, does a visualization exist in Power BI that will allow me to do something similar? From what I can tell, I'd have to make a separate bar chart for each individual country.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Olga_S
Frequent Visitor

Hi! did you find an answer to your question? 

I got the same challenge.

Best regards, Olga

csudude
Frequent Visitor

I found the closest solution is to use the Line Chart by Akvelon visual and put the dimension I want to split the graph by into the "Row By" bin. It can't display bars but it's the closest thing I've found. There is a bar chart made by Akvelon that splits the dimension, however, it didn't have the ability to color each "Row By" split a different color. 

smpa01
Super User
Super User

@csududeI am currently doing this too. This is what can be replicated in PBI

Capture.PNGy.PNG

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Comparing-Tableau-Viz-to-PBI-Viz/m-p/732970#M353557

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.