cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Split Time Series Chart by Dimension?

My company is making a transition from Tableau to Power BI and I'm the lucky person tasked with moving existing reports to Power BI.  

We use a lot of time series charts and one of the key features of Tableau is the ability to take a time series chart (any chart/graph really) and easily split that by different dimensions. For example, say there is a chart that represents total transactions for all regions combined.  I can easily drag a dimension (in this example country) to that chart and split that chart into separate charts based on the country name.  Please see the below Tableau screenshot:

Tableau 2019-08-29 .png

My question is, does a visualization exist in Power BI that will allow me to do something similar? From what I can tell, I'd have to make a separate bar chart for each individual country.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Split Time Series Chart by Dimension?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I found the closest solution is to use the Line Chart by Akvelon visual and put the dimension I want to split the graph by into the "Row By" bin. It can't display bars but it's the closest thing I've found. There is a bar chart made by Akvelon that splits the dimension, however, it didn't have the ability to color each "Row By" split a different color. 

Highlighted

Hi! did you find an answer to your question? 

I got the same challenge.

Best regards, Olga

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

This will be a conference that you do not want to miss!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Don't miss the Power BI Dev Camp this week!

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors