Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

csudude
Frequent Visitor

Split Time Series Chart by Dimension?

My company is making a transition from Tableau to Power BI and I'm the lucky person tasked with moving existing reports to Power BI.  

We use a lot of time series charts and one of the key features of Tableau is the ability to take a time series chart (any chart/graph really) and easily split that by different dimensions. For example, say there is a chart that represents total transactions for all regions combined.  I can easily drag a dimension (in this example country) to that chart and split that chart into separate charts based on the country name.  Please see the below Tableau screenshot:

Tableau 2019-08-29 .png

My question is, does a visualization exist in Power BI that will allow me to do something similar? From what I can tell, I'd have to make a separate bar chart for each individual country.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Olga_S
Frequent Visitor

Hi! did you find an answer to your question? 

I got the same challenge.

Best regards, Olga

csudude
Frequent Visitor

I found the closest solution is to use the Line Chart by Akvelon visual and put the dimension I want to split the graph by into the "Row By" bin. It can't display bars but it's the closest thing I've found. There is a bar chart made by Akvelon that splits the dimension, however, it didn't have the ability to color each "Row By" split a different color. 

smpa01
Super User
Super User

@csududeI am currently doing this too. This is what can be replicated in PBI

Capture.PNGy.PNG

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Comparing-Tableau-Viz-to-PBI-Viz/m-p/732970#M353557

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.