Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

inbal
Regular Visitor

Split Query for Tables

Hey,

I wanted to ask if there is a query that allows a dynamic distribution of two tables?

Similar to the "append" query.

I am aware of the option of "duplicate a table" and then making a suitable "filter", but the idea is that the tables will automatically update from the "parent" table.

I add a small sample in the picture below.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Inbal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try this in DAX as well.

In Modelling -> New Table

Child_TableA= FILTER ( Parent_table, Parent_Table[Project] = 1)

Child_TableB= FILTER ( Parent_table, Parent_Table[Project] = 2)

In this way, you will have 2 dynamic child tables .

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Raj

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try this in DAX as well.

In Modelling -> New Table

Child_TableA= FILTER ( Parent_table, Parent_Table[Project] = 1)

Child_TableB= FILTER ( Parent_table, Parent_Table[Project] = 2)

In this way, you will have 2 dynamic child tables .

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to Power BI, although I have been working with Power Query in Excel for some time. I realize that rajendran's post was from several months ago, but I do appreciate the simplicity of his proposed solution. In response to similar questions posted elsewhere, I have typically read suggestions to duplicate the query and apply different criteria for each copy of the query. For small datasets, this might be workable. But for large datasets, duplicating that data pull repeatedly is very inefficient. rajendran's solution requires only a single data pull, which to me seems the most-efficient way to perform this kind of task. And I learned something new, which is also a plus! Smiley Happy

@Anonymous Totally agree - @Anonymous's solution was much better than mine, and I learned something new too. This is why getting involved with the forum is a good thing - sometimes you find the way you do things is good; sometimes someone shows you how to do it better.

Gazzer
Resolver II
Resolver II

You seem to already have the answer you need.

You could either dupliacate parent and filter one for project 1 and the other for project 2 (essentially, exactly what you said you are already aware of!).

Otherwise, you could reference the parent table twice, and do the same filtering on both referencing queries.

I'm struggling to see why these are not suitable options - perhaps more information is needed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.