Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Split Columns by Delimiter and Reference Another Table in a Star Schema

Hi all,

Full disclosure, I haven't had a good look to see if there is an answer already because I wouldn't know how to structure the search to find it!

We have a large dataset of website usage metrics and to avoid exponential growth we have developed a star schema with the metrics table and reference tables hanging off of that. The metrics table has a column called group ID, in here there can be many ID's (4-5 digit numbers) separated by comma's, these ID's related to another table called group details which has two columns, the first is group ID, second is the group name. What I need to do is a count of events for each group name, I split the columns by a delimiter and tried a few things but didn't even get close.

Hope that made sense! Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Cheers,
Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

You may use 'Split columns' and 'Unpivot columns' for the data table.Then link the two tables.Please check the attached file.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("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", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, title = _t, groups = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"title", type text}, {"groups", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "groups", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"groups.1", "groups.2", "groups.3", "groups.4", "groups.5", "groups.6"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"groups.1", Int64.Type}, {"groups.2", Int64.Type}, {"groups.3", Int64.Type}, {"groups.4", Int64.Type}, {"groups.5", Int64.Type}, {"groups.6", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"ID", "title"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"
Count of Items = COUNT(Data[ID])

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous  Could you please post the sample data and expected output which will be really helpful to suggest an accurate solution.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Pattem!

I've created a sample of data here, in the XLSX there is two tabs, a reference table tab, and a data table tab. The data table has a column called groups which indicates which groups the item belongs in. The reference table has group name and group_id as the names. The IDs in the groups (separated by commas) links to the group_id so you can reference the name.

Basically, as output I want to be able to see which group name in each item in the data table belongs to, easy if there is only one ID but I'm not skilled enough to work it out for multiple IDs.

As an example:

Group Name Group ID Count of Items in Group

Group A100137
Group B100214

Cheers,
Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

The table didn't format properly but the table headers should be Group Bame, Group ID and Count of Items in Group.

Hope that all makes sense!

Hi,

You may download my PBI file from here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi @Anonymous 

You may use 'Split columns' and 'Unpivot columns' for the data table.Then link the two tables.Please check the attached file.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("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", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, title = _t, groups = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"title", type text}, {"groups", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "groups", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"groups.1", "groups.2", "groups.3", "groups.4", "groups.5", "groups.6"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"groups.1", Int64.Type}, {"groups.2", Int64.Type}, {"groups.3", Int64.Type}, {"groups.4", Int64.Type}, {"groups.5", Int64.Type}, {"groups.6", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"ID", "title"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"
Count of Items = COUNT(Data[ID])

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.