Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Speed up import of SAP HANA database

Hi,

When I am trying to import data from a SAP HANA database, it very quickly becomes large and slow datasets. The key is of course to try to limit the scope of data and the columns, but I have some limitations.  For example, I usually need to import a certain field ("order number") to get a certain measurement to work from SAP HANA ("number of items"). Is there anyway somehow make the import faster by importing all of below data, then removing the "order number" and clustering the "number of items"? For example:

My data looks like this and I need to import "order number" other wise the "number of items" will be imported blank.

Customer        Order number          Number of items          
A10010
A10110
A10210
B10310
B10410

But I only need the data in this format, meaning fewer rows to load.

Customer        Number of items          
A30
B20

Is there any way to do this and achieve faster loading times? Right now I have to load thousands of rows and it takes quite much time. Note my actual data has many more rows and columns.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try using "group by" in the query editor.

group by.PNG

If the data size is large, it is recommended to use the direct query mode instead of the import mode.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous  - my suggestion would be to create a view in HANA that does the grouping, then read from that view.

If that is not possible, suggest you post this in the Power Query forum. The users there would be able to tell you if there is a way to group prior to ingesting all of the data.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.