Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nestord

Specify custom date periods with predefined date periods.

HI All,

I need to have posibility in the report to specify either predefined period(like last 7 days, last 30 days...) or custom date period(any possible date renge). And i have to compare measures for current and previous period. In order to compare two periods i added few tables(2 for current periods and two for previous ).

periodstables.png

For custom period selection just need to use slicer on date field and it works.  Periods i specified in DatePeriod and DatePeriod2 respectivly. But im not able to get it work together. Report should filter data based on custom date(date slicer), only in "Custom Date" is selected in DatePeriod filter. And vice verce if i change DatePeriod slicer it should ignor/or reset what is specified in Date slicer. 
periods.png

Is the any way to make it work together? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@nestord

I'll use two measures(starting date and end date) and two tables(one lookup table and one calendar table). Then those two measures can be used to filter tables. Check more details in the attached pbix.

starting date = SWITCH(MAX('peroid lookup'[starting day]),DATE(1970,1,1),MIN('calendar'[Date]),MAX('peroid lookup'[starting day]))

end date = SWITCH(MAX('peroid lookup'[starting day]),DATE(1970,1,1),MAX('calendar'[Date]),TODAY())

####The calculated column in lookup table
starting day = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 07 days", TODAY () - 7,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 14 days", TODAY () - 14,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 30 days", TODAY () - 30,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 90 days", TODAY () - 90,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Today", TODAY (),
    DATE ( 1970, 1, 1 )
)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@nestord

I'll use two measures(starting date and end date) and two tables(one lookup table and one calendar table). Then those two measures can be used to filter tables. Check more details in the attached pbix.

starting date = SWITCH(MAX('peroid lookup'[starting day]),DATE(1970,1,1),MIN('calendar'[Date]),MAX('peroid lookup'[starting day]))

end date = SWITCH(MAX('peroid lookup'[starting day]),DATE(1970,1,1),MAX('calendar'[Date]),TODAY())

####The calculated column in lookup table
starting day = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 07 days", TODAY () - 7,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 14 days", TODAY () - 14,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 30 days", TODAY () - 30,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Last 90 days", TODAY () - 90,
    'Peroid lookup'[Peroid] = "Today", TODAY (),
    DATE ( 1970, 1, 1 )
)

Capture.PNG

@Eric_Zhang Thank you for your response. How you would suggest to calculate measure for those periods? Calculate masure for date range "starting date"\"end date"?

@nestord wrote:

@Eric_Zhang Thank you for your response. How you would suggest to calculate measure for those periods? Calculate masure for date range "starting date"\"end date"?

Yes, in the other measures' DAX fomular, filtter tables with those two measures.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.