Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Specify OR condition to filter by 2 columns in Calculate function

I am working on the latest Power BI Desktop (Oct 2021 update) and trying to create a `Clustered Column Chart` to display 2 measures viz., one for SUM(USD_Amount__c), other for COUNT(USD_Amount__c).

I have a Date table named `dimDate` which has a Year offset column named `rYear`. There is a FACT table which contains 2 Date columns viz., `CreatedDate` & `ClosedDate`. The FACT table also contains the `USD_Amount__c` column.

The dimDate table is joined by a relationship to both the CreatedDate & CloseDate columns of the FACT Table like this:

dimDate[Date] -->FACT[CreatedDate]

dimDate[Date]-->FACT[CloseDate]

I want to do something like this to get the 2 measures:

Amt($) = SUM the USD_Amount__c in the FACT table by filtering it on the CreatedDate & CloseDate such that, the CreateDate OR CloseDate are >=2019/01/01 i.e. starting 2 years ago. I dont want to hardcode the date 2019-01-01.

Amt(#) = COUNT the USD_Amount__c in the FACT table by filtering it on the CreatedDate & CloseDate such that, the CreateDate OR CloseDate are >=2019/01/01 i.e. starting 2 years ago. I dont want to hardcode the date 2019-01-01.

Right now, i am trying to use the rYear column in dimDate table to filter the FACT table like this:

Opps(#) IT = CALCULATE(COUNT('FACT'[USD_Amount__c]), CALCULATETABLE ( dimDate, dimDate[rYear] >= -2), USERELATIONSHIP(dimDate[Date],'FACT'[CloseDate]))

Opps($) IT = CALCULATE(SUM('FACT'[USD_Amount__c]), CALCULATETABLE ( dimDate, dimDate[rYear] >= -2 ), USERELATIONSHIP(dimDate[Date],'FACT'[CloseDate]))

This works, but i cannot specify an OR condition adding 'FACT'[CreatedDate] along with 'FACT'[CloseDate].

5 REPLIES 5
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I'd start with something like this and adjust as needed:

Opps(#) IT =
VAR StartDate = DATE ( MAX ( dimDate[rYear] ) - 2, 1, 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( 'FACT'[USD_Amount__c] ),
        FILTER ( 'FACT', 'FACT'[CloseDate] >= StartDate || 'FACT'[CreatedDate] >= StartDate )
    )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlexisOlson ,

Thank you for your quick response. 

The dimDate[rYear] is a Year offset viz., 1 for next year, 0 for current year, -1 for last year, -2 for prior to last year etc.

Any idea how that can be incorporated in your above formula?

How about YEAR ( MAX ( dimDate[Date] ) ) or YEAR ( TODAY () ) instead of MAX ( dimDate[rYear] )?

If you have an actual year column instead of an offset column, you could use that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, i have an actual year column.

BTW, YEAR( MAX( dimDate[Date] )) - 2 gives me 2021 as i think the Date table extends to 2023 and so do the CloseDate or CreatedDate columns in FACT table extend to greater than current year. I think what i need is Current Year - 2, isn't it so?

But i do want to make use of the relationship between dimDate and FACT table with Date Slicers. Therefore i need the dimDate table instead of YEAR(TODAY()). How do i do it in your formula?

DimDate does have YEAR column.

Try what I initially suggested with dimDate[Year] (or whatever your actual year column is called) instead of dimDate[rYear].

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.