Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

erikakushwah

Source file Error

Hello, 

I have been using an excel file as my data source and the file is on SharePoint, so that multiple users can access the data and make changes. I have stored the PowerBI file on SharePoint as well.

While making the reports, I synced the SharePoint folder to my computer and made the reports on PowerBI. I thought that the files will be still from an online source.  I am able to make changes and see the changes made in PowerBI as well. However, my whenever my teammates make changes in the data source (excel) they cannot see the refreshed Power BI report and they get error like below:

1.jpg

I am the one who has set up the PowerBI report page and published the report to Microsft Teams. I can successfully publish reports on MS Teams, but my teammates cannot even get past refreshing the report. Everyone is using the PowerBI file created by me. 

So my question is how can I get data from a SharePoint excel file and the make the PowerBI on SharePoint so that evryone can access the data source as well as the PowerBI report? 

I would really appreciate if someone can give a solution to this. 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi - It would appear that the filepath is mapped to a local machine and not a sharepoint filepath.. You can get the sharepoint filepath by right-clicking on Open File Location and copying the filepath. Replace everything up to \filepath name and update the source in your BI report. This should work for you provided all your colleagues have access to the sharepoint

file.

The link below might help.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/combining-excel-files-hosted-on-a-sharepoint-folder/

Hopefully this helps.

D

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.