Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Source data not matching up on Power BI

Hi All,

i am relatively new to Power Bi (used it at a very basic level), but i am having a strange problem that i haven’t seen when i've used it before. i've already tried creating a new dashboard twice and still no luck!

I am currently trying to create a matrix, with the data coming from two SharePoint libraries from the same site. I am able retrieve the data fine, but for some reason the data doesn’t match in my tables compared to what’s in the columns on SharePoint.

This is the Audit libarary  in SharePoint:

ArturDj_0-1625560167108.png

This how the data has copied over:

ArturDj_1-1625560259951.png

For some reason a day is being removed from the date on sharepoint, and i dont understand why.

When i use the Re audit date field from the Audit Library/source its seems to be giving me the same date (22/08/2021) throughout the matrix and i am not sure what needs to be changes in order for it to be displaying the individual days.

ArturDj_2-1625560345069.png

How i've setup my rows.

ArturDj_3-1625560869369.png

Any help would be appreciated, i am not quite sure where i am going wrong.

Thanks,

Artur

11 REPLIES 11
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Have you solved your problem? If yes, kindly accept the answer helpful as the solution( OR kindly share your solution😁). so the others can find it more quickly.

Or

if problem still persists, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

One reason could be you are using a summarisation under VALUES section on your matrix visual like EARLIEST date value, etc.

If you want exact values don't summarise them and move them to a table visual may be or to thr ROWS or COLUMN section of your matrix visual.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 ,

Thank you for your swift response. I've tried your suggestion; unfortunately, I am unable to achieve the results required by moving the fields to the rows and columns. i am still a little confused as even though both fields used are 'EARLIEST date' the top date shows different in the matrix.

Could it be a problem with the data/date coming from two different sources?

Thank you

ArturDj_0-1625564080871.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Are bothe data sources in Power BI linked together somehow from which these dates are coming?

Also try brimging these in a table visual to check how it looks by removing any summarisation. Attach a screenshot here of a table visual.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 

What do you mean by linked? The data is coming from these two tables:

ArturDj_0-1625577807575.png

When i try to create the visual tabel i get this error:

ArturDj_1-1625578017213.png

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

First rule of thumb in Power BI - If you want to use columns/measures from multiple tables in a single visual, then you need to create a relationship between them to get the right numbers on the visualisation.

By "linked" I mean, if both of your tables have a relationship or not. 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Pragati11 ,

I see. This is the first time i am working with two different tables.

The current relationship is 'Id'. I assume that this is the problem as why the data is incorrect?

ArturDj_0-1625588179592.png

With being said what should the relationship be changed to is this isn’t the ideal one?

Thank you

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your relationship looks fine to me.

Try moving ID column from one of the tables to your table visual along with other fields. It should not give you the earlier error.

It will be nice if you can share your pbix file by removing any sensitive information from it. It's hard to suggest something at this moment.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 ,

I no longer get that issue because of the relationship, however, the data is still not showing correctly. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqpscUO4vhcRkgmpWKu5Wt-ET72b?e=zVyx33

Thanks,

Artur

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 ,

Are there any futher suggestions you can offer from the Pbix file link i provided?

Thanks,

Artur

Hi @Anonymous ,

I couldn't get time to check your pbix file in detail, but did give it a quick look.

One thing what I see different in both tables is the ID column which is used to create relationship.

Pragati11_0-1626080048964.png

This is a sreenshot from both the tables for ID column. I do see few of the Id values are missing from 1st table which are in 2nd table and vice-versa.

The right approach to do this is to create a bridge table for ID values from both the tables and then use them for relationship and then further for visualisation.

If you also see the following screenshot:

Pragati11_1-1626080446025.png

Here you can see the ID values for Trainiee names are empty in one table and non-empty in another table. Therefore the information is different. This seems to be data consistency issue.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.