Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

edwardrmiles
Helper III
Helper III

Source / Version Control for PBIX files

Does anyone have any suggestions for version cotrolling PBIX files?  

My primary need would be describing the changes when I check it in.  In a perfect world I'd also be able to compare file elements side by side (e.g. the BIM model and each visual configurtaion)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@edwardrmiles Well, I can speak to how it acts in VS 2015. (but I would imagine it works just as well in other versions)

Create a folder under a solution, add your PBIX files.
Double click on your PBIX file, and the Power BI Desktop opens.

Make Changes, and the PBIX file acts like other VS objects and is marked as altered and must be checked back in.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
kodonnell
Frequent Visitor

This currently works, though the UI hasn't been designed, and it's probably not production ready. Feel free to submit some PRs!

Hi Kodonnell,

I'm trying to install your solution but I'mstuck at 

pip install .

with error

Spoiler
Directory '.' is not installable. File 'setup.py' not found.

Could you please provide some help? It would be very appreciated!

TYA,

SG

Ah, I don't know if it's actually ready to install yet (need to make that clear in the readme). Just copy the files and run them - no need to install anything.

Can you post on the github issues page in future? Thanks

Hi!

Thanks for clarifying, I'll follow up on Github for the future,

best,

S

alwyng
Regular Visitor

We use TFS in conjunction with GIT to source control. Unfortunately the PBIX files aren't text/xml based as you would find in for example SSRS rdl files. But GIT allows us to add a commit message documenting what the change was. Multiple changes=multiple commits. GIT also allows us to source control outside of VS.

@edwardrmiles I don't know about other tools, but you could use Team Foundation Server (TFS) combined with Visual Studio to track and add comments to changes in a check in/ check out procedure.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

The problem is not placing the PBIX file in source control.  The issue is to compress the PBIX file when it contains data (ie. Import Data Connectivity mode).

Any ideas? 

Never mind figured it out.
In PowerBI Desktop, save the file as a PowerBI template.  

For more information refer to https://rules.ssw.com.au/do-you-use-version-control-with-power-bi 

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer. Would you be able to explain how I can do that? I can't edit a PBIX file directly in Visual Studio (at least I don't think I can) so I'm not sure how would it work? 

@edwardrmiles Well, I can speak to how it acts in VS 2015. (but I would imagine it works just as well in other versions)

Create a folder under a solution, add your PBIX files.
Double click on your PBIX file, and the Power BI Desktop opens.

Make Changes, and the PBIX file acts like other VS objects and is marked as altered and must be checked back in.

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer, I'll give that a go

Hos os this going to help to determine the changes made from one version to the next? I am thinking on changes that could be made to the queries, transformations, visuals, etc, etc..

I agree, If the Power BI team wants to get into Corporate America this needs to be thought out and documented more

We use TFS in conjunction with GIT to source control. Unfortunately the PBIX files aren't text/xml based as you would find in for example SSRS rdl files. But GIT allows us to add a commit message documenting what the change was. Multiple changes=multiple commits. GIT also allows us to source control outside of VS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.