Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasAJ

Source, Queries, and Reports relationships concepts.

I have a lot of programming experience but I cannot quite understand a few things about the above.

1.  Is the Source data stored in PBI? (example Access data) Probably not.

2.  If I create a query #2 can I use the table from query #1? I mean sure I can select the same table as used by q#1 but can I just say 'use same table as q#1? Probably not.

3.  In Report area can I have Visualizations from diferent queries on the same Page 1? Or can 1 Page ONLY use 1 query?

4. If '1 Page ONLY uses 1 query'  AND I want to see diferent aspects of the same underlying table SIMULTANEOUSLY I do not see how that can be done as it seems ONLY ONE Page can be viewed at a time. I cannot see where pages can have their own 'windows' either within or without the Power BI Desktop s/w.

Many thanks

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ThomasAJ,

Do you mean power query tables?

Following replies are based on 'yes' option.

#1. Power bi will cache data tables into power bi service.

#2. Yes, you can refer other query tables which outside of current table.(actually, you can refer cache tables of previous steps and external query tables.)

Notice: power query not allow to create tables with same name, even if you reference a table or duplicate it, you need to rename the copies one.

#3. I haven't heard power bi contians this limitations on report page.

#4. Data models are generated from query tables, so it is impossible to get multiple model tables form one query table. (one query one table) I'd like to suggest you duplicate query tables, then add different operations on them to achieve different effect.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin Sheng

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will look closely at your comments and get back if I have anything to ask/say.

Thanks again

Tom

ThomasAJ

Hi I'm the O.P.

I just noticed that when I added a new page (Page 2) that it has picked up the 1 query that I am using in Page 1.

I would have thought it would be blank and when I added say a graph I would be asked "...what do you wish to use..." as a feed (I do not want to use the word 'source' as it has a reserved meaning and might confuse) to this visual/graph?

Hi all

OK so no comments from the cognocenti and I’m wondering why.

i would really appreciate it if someone could give me a hint as to why.

is it because...

1.Q is incomprehensible.

2. Q is silly.

3. Possibly nobody here knows the answer.

4. Other

I won't be offended. Promise 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.