Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sound advice on improving Query Refresh

Is there any sound advice on uploading large datasets (5 million rows from SQL server 2016) into Power BI?

It is tough for me to aggregate the data as I need it at the granular level.  I removed my parameters and disabled parallel loading, etc etc but it still is incredibly slow...like hours and hours to load a SQL query in import mode.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Correct and hopefully it will be part of your long-term solution otherwise the refresh will take as long as the initial load.

Other things to consider : query folding,

auto date/time settings,

not returning fields from the db that are not required,

using table.buffer if the same table is being loaded repeatedly in query transformations,

what's going on in the db when the load is being run, and so on

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Loading large dataset in import mode always takes a lot of time. Do you consider to use DirectQuery mode instead?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

First of all, I'm a hardcore fan for PQ given so many fantastic native functions to manipulate dataset; but in practice, I still resort to sql for better perfomance either by query folding or by sql on the db side, i.e. join/aggregate/filter dataset by sql rather than by PQ query.

Frankly speaking, sql is more relaible than PQ query in terms of performance.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CNENFRNL I am trying to aggregate some columns but I need all of them as they interact together.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Correct and hopefully it will be part of your long-term solution otherwise the refresh will take as long as the initial load.

Other things to consider : query folding,

auto date/time settings,

not returning fields from the db that are not required,

using table.buffer if the same table is being loaded repeatedly in query transformations,

what's going on in the db when the load is being run, and so on

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Incremental refresh?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In order for me to set up Incremental refresh I need to load my dataset that I recently changes which is taking hours and hours 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.