Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VPonnarath
Frequent Visitor

Sorting week is not working

Hello,

I have created a calculated column for the "Week Name-Month" in my date table which display the Month and the week number of the particular month. 

Week Name-Month = CONCATENATE('Date'[Fiscal Month],CONCATENATE("- Week",'Date'[Week Number of Month]))

I am trying to use Week Name-Month column in my Line chart Axis and it is working, but we have a problem in sorting . Its not getting sorted in the order of the month, it sorts in a wired way. I tried t use the "Sort By Column" Functionality and tried sorting against Week number of the month. But, that dosen't work . 

Can anyone please help me with this? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@VPonnarath,

Please update your formula to the following, then change data type of week sort column to whole number.

Week Sort Column = CONCATENATE('Date'[Calendar Month Number],'Date'[Week Number of Month])

1.PNG

This way, when you sort Week Name-Month column by Week Sort Column, you will get expected sort.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VPonnarath you are on right track to using "sort by"

What is your fiscal month? Is it "Month name" or "Month Number"? Can you share screen shot how your week and sort column looks like?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hello,

Looking for some help and it seems you have some good experience with this.   I have a Line Chart that shows revenue for current year and prior year with the axis as Month Name and Week Ending date (ie Apr-04, Apr-11, etc.).   I cannot get it to sort properly and I've tried to sort that table column my many other columns.  I get the error message below and I've tried to sort by columns with various data structures that should satify the error.   Please help! lol 

"We can't sort the 'WeekEnding' column by 'YearWeekSort'. There cant be more than one value in...."

Thank you for your response ! 

See the below screen shot. I am trying to sor the "Week Name -Month " Cloumn with "Week Number of Month" Column. 

In my Line chart when I use Week Name -Month on Axis, It is not dispaying in an order

image.pngLine Chart- See the week order displayingLine Chart- See the week order displaying

i think your sort column should be

MM-Week Number of Month, like 

01-01

01-02

01-03

12-01

12-02

12-03

And use this new field to sort your "Week Name-Month" field

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hello, Actually, that didnt work. 🙂

When i was testing with my sample data, it was working for me. But, when we uploaded the real data for whole year, the week name is not sorting in an order. 

Can you please give me another solution for this?

Thanks, 

ok so what is the issue. I guess you need to add more value in sort column but if you provide more details it will be helpful to resolve the issue.

thanks,

p

Okay. I will try to explain as I can.

I am trying to bring the week name ( ex: Jan-Week 1, Jan-Week2) in a line chart X axis. 

I have date table with , Week number of Year, Week Number of Month columns . I created a calculated column for dispaying the week number in a more understandable way , ie..  Jan-Week1, Jan -week2 . Below is the dax I am using for this. 

Week Name-Month = CONCATENATE('Date'[Fiscal Month],CONCATENATE("- Week",'Date'[Week Number of Month]))

I need to sort this cloumn like below

Jan-Week1

Jan-Week 2

Feb-Week1

Feb-Week 2

Uploading the pbix with date table here.. pbix

@VPonnarath,

Please update your formula to the following, then change data type of week sort column to whole number.

Week Sort Column = CONCATENATE('Date'[Calendar Month Number],'Date'[Week Number of Month])

1.PNG

This way, when you sort Week Name-Month column by Week Sort Column, you will get expected sort.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BRILLIANT !! 

That worked like a charm.  Thank you so much  !! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.