Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sanoraya
Frequent Visitor

Sorting the Slicer

Hi, 

I am struggling with how to sort the slilcer the way I need: 

I have a table like this: 

Number Month

1           Jan

2           Feb. 

3           March

etc... 

The slicer only allows sorting alphabetically, but I want the months in the Slicere to be sorted by their Number. I know now the Slicer suprisingly doesn't allow to sort by another column in the table. So what are my options? 

I followed this recommerndation https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-sort-by-column/ and  sorted by the Number in the QueryEditor, but it has no effect on how the Months are displayed. Am I doing somehtign wrong, or is it Slicer's specific?

Thanks a lot!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@sanoraya - To order your months by a number range I go to the data tab in Power BI desktop:

Data tab.PNG

In the ribbon you will see the Sort By Column button. Select the column you are interested in first (in my picture it would be Months), then click the Sort By Columns button.

Now you need to have a column which lists the months in the numeric order you want. For example, January will always show up as 1. In the sort by column button you will then need to click the appropriate column containing the month numbers.

This will then sort your slicer the way you want.

Thanks,

Giles

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sanoraya,

try following my post here.

Let me know if it works.

#I'M Not An Expert#

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.