Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ggenzi
Frequent Visitor

Sorting stacks in a Stacked Bar Chart

BI novice here, I've been playing with the software for about a month and I am beginning to use it seriously. I have read posts about how to sort the different columns in a stacked bar chart, but I don't understand how to sort the inidividual stacks within each column. I have tried dragging them in the values field, renaming them , changing their values etc. 

Again, I know how to sort the full columns and I have tried using the top right corner options, but to no avail. 

In the attached picture, I would like to display the 5 tiers from 5 to 1, instead of from 1 to 5.

Any suggestion? 

Stacks.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ggenzi
Frequent Visitor

Ok so thanks to your help I've figured it out. I simply created a new table with two columns:

Column one: original category name (numerical value)

Column two: tweaked category names with increasingly more spaces (classified as categorical)

I then established a relationship between the new table and and the old one with the data, and in the "Legend" field of the chart I dragged the new field (Column two).

And it worked! Definitely more complex than needed though

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sornavoor
Resolver I
Resolver I

AFAIK no direct way.   

You could try & see if you can enhance the visual it to add a sorter attribute to the column stacks.  

Finally, check the ideas section to see if there is already a request and vote for it; else  add an idea; Will certainly be useful for the masses.  

Regards! 

On second thoughs -  a dirty approach -  play with spaces in front of description.  Hope this helps! 

snip_20160720170010.png

Very interesting, thanks. I am not sure how to connect the original tiers to the new spaced description but I'll try, thanks!

ggenzi
Frequent Visitor

Ok so thanks to your help I've figured it out. I simply created a new table with two columns:

Column one: original category name (numerical value)

Column two: tweaked category names with increasingly more spaces (classified as categorical)

I then established a relationship between the new table and and the old one with the data, and in the "Legend" field of the chart I dragged the new field (Column two).

And it worked! Definitely more complex than needed though

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.