Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msl924
Helper I
Helper I

Sorting rows and columns by fiscal month in matrix visual

Hello,

I'm building a sales forecast watefall and I cannot get the rows and columns in the matrix to sort by fiscal month order as opposed to calendar month. I've tried creating a new column with a numerical sorting order, but this does not seem to have the effect I'm looking for. I've incldued a screenshot of the current chart (with fake data) that shows the chart beginning in January in both columns and rows, though I need this to begin in July. Any suggestions? 

waterfall issue.PNG

- M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Update: I was able to figure out a way to do this. I had to create a heirarchy for the column, which included the sorting order and the relevant date. For the rows, connecting using the "sort by column" feature to the correct ordering seemed to work, so no need for a heirarchy. 

waterfall 2.PNGwaterfall 3.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a very similiar problem to this. Try making a slicer with the column that contains your numerical sorting order. Click all the numbers. For some reason, PBI re-sorts certain data depending on the slicers bein clicked on.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work (though perhaps I went about it wrong), it just displayed only certain months but did not affect the sorting order. 

I was able to get the rows to sort properly by adding the numerical column to the heirarchy for the rows, but for some reason it seems like I'm unable to do the same with the columns. 

Update: I was able to figure out a way to do this. I had to create a heirarchy for the column, which included the sorting order and the relevant date. For the rows, connecting using the "sort by column" feature to the correct ordering seemed to work, so no need for a heirarchy. 

waterfall 2.PNGwaterfall 3.PNG

HugoM
Frequent Visitor

@msl924 , Hey big question, how did you structure your model to make your table be a waterfall kinda looking?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.