Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kalyani
Helper I
Helper I

Sorting order of the month issue in graphs

Hello,

This topic has been in discussion for quite a long time and tried few methods to replicate the ideas whch are already shared for the sorting order of the month in chronological order. But still, it is not working for me. Can someone help me in detail to fix this.

1) There is no date column in my data. The data is just Year - 2018 and Month- Jan, Feb, ...

2) In the data I have created a separate column MonthNo 1 for Jan, 2 for Feb and so on..

3) Sorted the data based on the MonthNo and tried to sort the graphs (Area, Bar) and a Slicer which shows Month from Jan, Feb, Mar..

4) Even after doing all the above steps, the graph is sorted in Ascending or Descending 

Month.JPGGraph.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, in your screenshot you have sorted MonthNo by MonthNo. You should sort your column as follows:

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@kalyanidid you sort the Month column (the column used for the X-axis in your chart below) by the column MonthNo?

Also did you change sort by in the options menu accessed by clicking the 3 circles in the top right corner of your visual?

Yes, I did that by clicking the 3 dots in the right corner, sorted by Month. I didn;t sort anything in the axis.

If I include the MonthNo column in the values of the graph, then I can able to sort the graph basd on MonthNo like Jan, Feb,... But the problem is it is also showing as one of the value in the Legends of the graph as MonthNo.

Ah ok, have you used Sort by Column, which you can find under the Data view?

In here you should click on your month column and then sort by your monthNo column.

Untitled.png

Hi, Yes, I ahve tried the data sorting also. Created the the monthNo column and sorted the data by MonthNo. So, if I see the data it is sorted by 1,2,3...

I thought, the graph will automatically sort the Month column, if the data itself is sorted, but it is not working tooSort.JPG

It is sorting, if I include the MonthNo column in the values in the graph, but it showing that in Legend. Is there a way to hide that otheriwse?

Sort1.JPG

Hi, in your screenshot you have sorted MonthNo by MonthNo. You should sort your column as follows:

Untitled.png

Hi,

Then, how it is possible to sort in Waterfall chart. If I have the breakdwon by Month. It would be great if you can help me out with this

Sort2.JPG

@kalyani, no problem, glad to help you. Please mark the solution so others who have the same issue can find an answer quicker.

Unfortunately I'm not sure about the Waterfall issue, have you tried sorting the waterfall using the 3 circles in the top right of the graph by Month?

Yes, in the waterfall chart, in the top end it is showing only the Category and the Axis columns, but I have added the Month in the Breakdown. So sorting option for the breakdwon is not apprearing.

Sort2.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't think what you require is possible at the moment: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Sorting-on-breakdown-attribue-of-waterfall-chart-not-working...

You can add an idea to the ideas section here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?WT.mc_id=Community

Hi, Thank you for your reply and your support. Will raise in the PBI Ideas forum.

Regards

Kals

Hi,

Thank you so much. Awesome, it worked well. I thought, even if I sort with MonthNo, the Month column will also get sorted as Jan, Feb and it will display the chronological order.

Thanks Again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.