Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MisterDave
Frequent Visitor

Sorting multiple columns by High, Medium, Low

Hello all

I'm trying to sort multiple columns which all have the same values (High, Medium, Low) so that when I visualise them they show in order of severity. I can do it for an individual column by creating a table and using that to sortby but the new column will only sort one column. Equally, if I create a new table and column for each one I wish to sort, I get a message saying ''There can't be more than one value in 'New column' for the same value in Risk 2' (where New Column is the column created to establish the hierarchy of H,M,L).

The data looks something like this:

Location                       Risk 1     Risk 2        Risk 3          Risk 4          

Country 1                    High       Low           Medium      High             

Country 2                    High       Medium    Low             Medium        

Country 3                    Low        Low           Medium      Low

Can any body help? THere must be an easier way to do this! All I want is to be able to sequence the axes in my visualisations by H,M,L rather than alphabetically or numerically.

Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MisterDave,

I'm wondering if could try unpivoting the risk columns first in Query Editor, then sort the only Value column(of course you can rename it) to get the expected result in your scenario.

unpivot.PNG

For more details about how to Pivot and Unpivot with Power BI, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy 

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MisterDave,

I'm wondering if could try unpivoting the risk columns first in Query Editor, then sort the only Value column(of course you can rename it) to get the expected result in your scenario.

unpivot.PNG

For more details about how to Pivot and Unpivot with Power BI, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy 

Regards

Many thanks. I'll give it a go later and report back. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.