Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

Sorting months in text in a stacked column chart

Hi,

I have been trying to create a stacked column chart with months on the X-axis, unfortunately in the data I have the months are a string and not a date format. I looked up some solutions, but they all start from a date format. I would like for the months to show up in a chronological order and not an alphabetical one. Can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Capture.JPGCapture 2.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

You could make a new column with the formula as;

Date = "01 " & Sheet1[Month] & " 2016"

Then model that as a date format. Then it you can add the calculated column. I imported a basic spreadsheet then created the new column.

I imported a spreadsheetSpreadsheet.PNGSpreadsheetGraph.PNG

I would usually create a new column which is just MonthNumber = Month(Date) which returned the numerical month number, I then select the text month column and set the sort by column to be the MonthNumber column. 

Daniil
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Just create a calculated column with the following code and use it to sort the Reporting Period column:

MonthNo =
SWITCH (
    'Your Table Name'[Reporting Period],
    "January", 1,
    "February", 2,
    "March", 3,
    "April", 4,
    "May", 5,
    "June", 6,
    "July", 7,
    "August", 8,
    "September", 9,
    "October", 10,
    "November", 11,
    "December", 12
)

I tried it, but get the following error message:

The syntax for '"February"' is incorrect. (DAX(SWITCH ('Check-ins'[Reporting Period], "January", 1. "February", 2. "March", 3."April", 4. "May", 5."June", 6."July", 7."August", 8."September", 9. "October", 10 "November", 11 "December", 12))).

MonthNo =
SWITCH (
'Check-ins'[Reporting Period],
"January", 1,
"February", 2,
"March", 3,
"April", 4,
"May", 5,
"June", 6,
"July", 7,
"August", 8,
"September", 9,
"October", 10,
"November", 11,
"December", 12
)

Above you find what I filled in

Matt, did you copy and paste my formula (having corrected the table name of course), or did you type it manually?

Note how the error message has periods (dots) after the first nine numbers, and nothing (not even commas) after the other numbers -- this is different from my formula.

Hi 

I was able to create the column, but when I try to sort my 'Reporting Period' column by the MonthNo it gives the follwoing error...

Capture.JPG

Of course Power BI won't let you sort by calculated column derived from the column you want to sort 🙂 I forgot -- sorry about that.

Since you don't have a date column, I would simply add month number in Query Editor.

This code will give you the month names and corresponding month numbers:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMK00sqlTSUTJUitWJVnJLTSqCChiBBXwTi5IzgDxjMM+xoCgzB8gzgcqB1JmC2V6lealAjhmUkwOSMYfoKU0vLS4Bci3A3ODUgpLU3KTUIqCIJVjEP7kkH8I3NAAL+OWXwVQYQpzlkpoMFwG6KxYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [MonthName = _t, MonthNo = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"MonthName", type text}, {"MonthNo", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Merge this query with the Check-ins table and you should be able to sort Reporting Period column by MonthNo.

Depending on regional settings you might need to replace , with ; in the DAX code.

/sdjensen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.