Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting (manual sorting of dimensions)

Hi all,

I am currently using an OLAP cube connection and I want to sort my bar charts e.g. in a custom way - meaning: NOT alphabatically, highest to lowest and vice versa.

Still working with the cube connection, in excel I would just convert my pivot-table or whatever to formulas and then change the order of dimensions as I wish by a "drag-and-drop" approach (hope this makes sense).

Does anyone know a work-around to this issue? It is not possible to change the data connection atm., but it's something we are planning to do down the road.

Thx in advance.

Best regards,

Marco

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bar charts should allow you to change the sorting from lowest to highest or vice versa using the sort options under the ... button. Unless (???) they don't work for OLAP cubes? But for drag and drop - I agree, it would be nice to just sort things that way too sometimes.

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

The point is that I DON'T want to sort by values, that option works perfectly fine with OLAP cubes.

I want to sort based on a "logic" that makes sense within this company.

I am using a horizontal bar chart to show sales from multiple companies - I want to sort the companies as I wish; company A should be at the top, no matter sales quantity or whatever.

Does it make sense?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, sure does. Is it possible to smash the data set up with a simple excel worksheet that lists the companies and has a sort order column for them? If it does, you could then use the sort order column as the default sort for the company dimension?

Thx,

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will look into it with our BI architect and come back!

Thx!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors