Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting in Decomposition Tree per May 2020 Desktop Release - How Does It Work?

May 2020 announced the ability to "Sort capabilities: you can sort the tree alphabetically or by the measure"

Does this mean that when I add an other attribute to "Explain by" I can sort ascending/descending by the values in that attribute (e.g. if the attribute is "Sales Amount"  I can sort ascending / descending by Sales Amount?

I've looked at this in both Desktop and Service and can't figure it out!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

use the ellipsis (...) in the upper right corner, just like in other sortable visuals.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Let's say you want to explain sales amount by country. You can choose to sort the tree by amount (for example country with highest amount at the top of the screen) or by country (countries sorted on screen A-Z or Z-A). That's all there is to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. My question is what buttons do I click and/or what do I type to get this result? I can't figure it out.

use the ellipsis (...) in the upper right corner, just like in other sortable visuals.

Hi lbendlin,

The problem I have that sort by amount is available on PBI desktop but when I publish the report the sort order gets changed and sort by Amount ( which is in Analyze fields) disappear from the ellipsis (...). can you please advise 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You have correctly answered the question I asked, but now I've realized I didn't ask the question correctly.  What I meant was if you have a decomp tree "Sales" then an explain by "Region" and the values in Region are East $1,000 West $800, I want to sort the $1,000 and $800 amounts ascending and descending not the region names.

yes, same idea. Whichever fields appear as sortable in the ellipsis.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same "issue" I have several branches and want to sort each branche independently from the previous one but when I sort the next branch the previous also are sorted so at the end I can only sort all tree once.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.