Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimNYC
Helper I
Helper I

Sorting by Column Not In Visual When Data Source is Another Report

I'm using Power BI on desktop and my data source is another Power BI report that is already in the cloud. Because the data source is from a different file, I do not have access to the "Data" tab on the left and the "Sort By Column" option is greyed out. The field that I would like to sort my visual by is in the same table as one of the fields used in my visual. How do I access that column for sorting?

The table has the following data. The field shown on the visual is "Time Range", but I'd like to sort on the field "Hour". Sorting by "Time Range" results in non-chronological sorting because it is a text field.

HourTimeTime Range
012:00 AM12:00 AM - 1:00 AM
11:00 AM1:00 AM - 2:00 AM
22:00 AM2:00 AM - 3:00 AM
etc.etc.etc.

Any help on this would be appriciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, depending on the visual you could add Hour to your visual and then use the ellipses in your visual to sort by Hour. You can often shrink up this column so that it does not show in something like a table visual. What visual is this going in?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, depending on the visual you could add Hour to your visual and then use the ellipses in your visual to sort by Hour. You can often shrink up this column so that it does not show in something like a table visual. What visual is this going in?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you everyone for your replies. The visual I'm using with the XX:00 AM - XX:00 - AM filed a simple table, so adding the Hour column, shrinking it to zero width, and sorting on that will get the job done. I do wish there was a better way, after all adding extra values to a visual can sometimes cause problems.

bfernandez
Resolver II
Resolver II

You can sort the visual by selecting its More options (...) menu, select Sort by, and then select the field by which you want to sort.

Check out the Power BI documentation here.

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

- If you need further assistance, @ me on the reply -

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, my apologies, I thought the original poster was trying to sort by a column that wasn't on the visual. In that case, you need to add the "sort by another column" option in PBI desktop, which doesn't appear when you live connect to a dataset.

If the value you want to sort by is on the visual itself, just sort by that using the options under the ellipses as indicated.

Thx,

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @TimNYC , if you mean you're live connecting to a Power BI dataset, unfortunately you won't be able to change the sort order. That's part of the data model, and when you're live connected you don't have "edit" access to the model to make changes (even for things like display formats...which I really don't understand why I can't override those when live connecting).

Hope this helps,

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.