Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mterry
Helper V
Helper V

Sorting bar chart chronologically when using date hierarchy

I've seen a few posts on this, but nothing I could find to answer this specific concern. I have daily data from Dec-19 through Mar-20 that is in a bar chart. End users would like for it to be grouped by month. When I use the date hierarchy to group by month (I include day as well so they can drill down to daily view for each month), it puts December at the end of the bar chart, even though chronologically it should be first. WITHOUT adding another column or measure, is there a way to keep this data sorted chronologically? I'm not necessarily opposed to adding a column/measure, but I feel like this is a pretty easy task for Power BI and I'm just not familiar with the setting - feel like I shouldn't have to add more data to keep the underlying chronological data in chronological order. 

6 REPLIES 6
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Data Pane > Select "Date" table > Select "Column" for month > Ribbon "Column tools" > Sort by column, dropdown, select the right column of your interest.

Go back to chart, it should automatically fix it.

(if not delete and add the column to the chart again)

- SV

I attempted to sort both the date column, and the month column by the period column (i.e. 201901) - when I attempt to do that with the date column, the diplay gives me an error. When I attempt to sort the month column by the period I get an error saying 'We can't sort the 'MonthName' column by 'Period'. There can't be more than one value in 'Period' for the same value in 'MonthName'.....

The error is caused because there are more than 1 values, in your case. 

i.e., Display Column Values to Sort Column Values has to be 1-to-1 mapping.  
Data can be duplicated but strict 1-1 mapping.

Please check Periods - MonthName values ... or post the screenshot of the data

Month Periods (Display)      YYYYMM (Sort)

JAN 2019            201901

FEB 2019             201902

Date (Display)      YYYYMMDD (Sort)

01-Mar-2019      20190301

02-Mar-2019      20190302

- SV

Okay, so these all seem to be work arounds, not necessarily addressing the original issue I had. If I use the date column (individual date) on the axis, and let Power BI use the date heirarchy, using only month, then there is no way to segregate the months across years without including the years value and drilling, correct?

Kevin_Gitonga
Helper I
Helper I

This is typically achieved when you have a Date table with the month number and year number concatenated e.g. 122019 then you proceed to select the column and sort via the option avalaibe in the columns tools in the ribbon

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mterry , if you are using date hierarchy than drill down should have given right sorting

We typically use date table and column-like

Month Year = FORMAT([Date],"mmm-yyyy")

or

Month Year = FORMAT([Date],"mmmm-yyyy")
Month Year sort = FORMAT([Date],"yyyymm")

And we mark month year sort as sort column

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.