Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cdelladonna
Frequent Visitor

Sorting a stacked bar chat by total sales

Hi,

I have a stacked bar chart with 2 sales values. I made a calculated column that adds the 2 together and I want to sort by that total number. I attempted to sort the sales agent by the total volume column that I made, but it just throws an error. 

Capture.PNG

I also tried changing my calculation to SUM(Val 1) + SUM(val  2) and then changing the sales agent to sort on that, but that also isn't coming out right.

This is what I am working with:

Capture2.PNG

Thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14
MurphyMcM
Regular Visitor

I just found this video from Guy in a Cube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bp_e-ik7aA

It shows how you can resolve this by adding another series to the tooltip of your visual.

You can than hit the ellipsis of your visual and click Sort By, then you select the series you just added.

Just create a measure Total Sales (in your case), you'll probably need it in your data model anyway.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great tip @MurphyMcM! I had the same problem presented above. Then, I saw your comment and tried adding a measure with the total value to the tooltip and it worked! Now this column appears in the visual's options > sort by. Thanks!! 

MarinaBris
Regular Visitor

I solved his for my viz by a "hack".  I am using a horizontal stacked bar chart.

I had a separate measure of sum of all other values.  I added this as the LAST item in the stacked chart (so it would be all the way on the right).  I sorted the chart by this measure.  I then went into Formatting settings and made that data value the same colour as the background.  Voila, we now have the correcct sorting AND the sum of all visible values appears to the right of the stacked columns.  Two birds, one hack 😉

stacked bar chart.PNG

😉

Could you provide some more detail on how you did this? Thanks 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is briliant! Thank you @Mari 

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @cdelladonna

Are the colors two measures stocked on top of the other or just one measure with legends?

Would you mind posting a dummy data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.
eightbit
Regular Visitor

I played around with the line and bar chart but didn't like the look with the stupid line.  Further the labels clutter everything up.  What I ended up doing was adding a measure with my total value divided by 10,000 (or any number that makes the value very small so it is not visible on the stacks.  You can then add this item to the values and then sort by it.

Only down side is it still shows up in the legend.  Haven't figured out how to get it out of there yet.

Did you find any other way? I got into same problem and using your technique.

JasonConway
Regular Visitor

You can do this by using a line and stacked columm chart visual, adding the total of your stacks as a line value and then sorting by that.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cdelladonna,

You can use clustered bar chart to achieve your requiremnet:

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I think that the stacked bar chart is a better visual for what I am trying to show.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Use CONCATENATE function to combine both the volumes column and sort the data based on that.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

It will not let me sort Agent by concatenate(vol1, vol2) I still want the values to appear seperately in the report. 

Any update on this? Still have not found a viable solution. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.