Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SanderVeeken
Helper II
Helper II

Sorting a column two different ways

I have a case where I have to sort the x-axis of a stacked column chart two different ways; in one case (fiscal year) I want to display the month names sorted by month number, in another case, I want to display them by schoolyear order (starting in August and ending with July).

I have a "schoolmonth" column and I can easily set "month name" to sort by schoolmonth. However, then I run into trouble for the "fiscal year" graph where I want the "normal" sort order by regular month number. Is there some provision for this, or a clever way I'm missing? The only workaround I can think of is to duplicate the month name column and call it fiscal month name or something, and sort that one by month number.

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @SanderVeeken ,

You can't sort the same column by two different columns, my experience with calendar table that have a fiscal year and a calendar year I always have the calendar columns (year, months, quarter) and the fiscal ones, in this case believe that you need to have this duplication of the month name and of the fiscal month name.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.