Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting a Quarter year column based on dates PowerBI DAX

Hi all! I have the following data table, in which I created a Quater-Year column for 2014 to 2019:

Knipsel1.PNG

I am creating visualisations with Quater-Year, however the axis are not sorted well (it looks like: Q1 2017, Q1 2018) but instead it should be Q1 2017 Q2 2017 and so on.

If I am trying to sort by another column it says that the levels between the columns must be the same:

Knipsel.PNG

However, I have no column with has similar levels to Quater-Year. What can I do to make sure I can sort right on Quater-Year? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - You can create a new Calculated column that contains a direct match to your Quarter column:

Quarter Key = 'Date'[Year] & 'Date'[Date].[Quarter]

Sort by this new column.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - You can create a new Calculated column that contains a direct match to your Quarter column:

Quarter Key = 'Date'[Year] & 'Date'[Date].[Quarter]

Sort by this new column.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Natelpeterson!  Can you explain to me why this works? I don't really understand

Anonymous
Not applicable

Think about the column and its sorting column in a key-value pair. So, for Q1 2019, you could ask "what is the sorting value?" If there is more than one value it doesn't work. In this case you know that Jan 2019, Feb 2019 and Mar 2019 are all sequential and it should work, but the engine doesn't make any assumptions. Using 2019Q1 works because it satisfies the following requirements:

1. It is a one-for-one match.

2. The alphabetical ordering matches the sequential ordering.

Cheers,

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.